RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: spoon maker

  • Linda Rice
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
      Cool! Do you know where it is to be filmed? They would never let
      somebody like me actually be in it, I'm not citified or prissy enough!
      (Time to kill the chickens for dinner? Ok, fine, I'll do it! That kind
      of thing.) Besides, I AM a Virginian, we get fed American Colonial
      History from birth.

      See ya when you get here, Patricia!

      Pax,

      Linda
      Virginia Beach, Va.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
        I'm on the Regia list, I could put it out to the general membership.
        I'll let you know what they say.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
          I found what is given to be a copy of a period wood-cut dating to
          around 1541 on a couple of the links provided. Wish I could track
          down the original source for the wood-cut! From what I've read thus
          far, the Bodger seems to be more period than other styles. I'll be
          off to the library later this week - any suggestions on books to
          request through their loan program? Thanks for all of the help - I
          didn't even know where to begin!

          Hey, are they really doing a "Colonial House" or are you just teasing
          us? I'm moving back up to Virginia this fall, so perhaps I can get
          with the coopers at Colonial Williamsburg and learn more about the
          history of the Shave horse and their other tools!

          Jessimond

          > > a period Shave Horse
          >
          > Is there such a thing? Someone set my perception that they were
          > developed after 1600. I'd love to be corrected so when I go on
          > "Colonial House" I can take one with me <grin>.
          >
          > Ulrich
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
              --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
              > Do you know where it is to be filmed?

              Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were scouting
              locations.

              Ulrich

              http://platinum.yahoo.com
            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                Gleaned from the following links:

                Per <http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/horses.html>
                The shaving horse is first documented in the 1556 De Re Metallica, a
                German treatise on mining and metalurgy.

                Per <http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm>
                The two traditional shaving horse styles are the Continental
                schnitzelbank or dumbhead and the English bodger�s bench. While the
                dumbhead shaving horse is seen in 15th and 16th-century illustrations,
                there is no pictorial or documentary evidence for the English style
                prior to the late 19th Century.

                UvL

                http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/nofram

                http://www.mystiklongbows.com/Specialty_Items/Shaving_Horse/shaving_hors
                > e.html
                > http://www.countryworkshops.org/mule.html
                > http://www.motherbedford.com/Cooper.htm
                > http://www.emainc.com/radnor/cooper.htm
                >

                > Hope this helps,
                >
                > :Linda:

                http://platinum.yahoo.com
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                  I just saw on the calendar that Swine and Roses is in conflict with
                  Border Raids. I was really looking forward to working in the village.

                  Ulrich

                  http://platinum.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                    --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                    > --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                    > > Do you know where it is to be filmed?
                    >
                    > Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were
                    > scouting
                    > locations.
                    >
                    > Ulrich

                    Good luck, but based on the past shows
                    you'll probably be rejected cause you know
                    too much...

                    =====

                    http://platinum.yahoo.com
                  • Patricia Emery
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 19, 2003
                      Do you play in the Barony of Marinus? That's where we're heading -
                      Norfolk/Little Creak. We lived there before, from Aug. 1996 to June
                      2001. I can't wait to move back "home"! We didn't get to "play"
                      much when we were there, but hope that will be different this time
                      around...

                      Naturally, we fell in love with Colonial Williamsburg, and cannot
                      wait to see "Colonial House"!

                      Jessimond

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 19, 2003
                        Well, yes and no. I am a member of a small living history group located
                        in Virginia Beach. I also have friends in Marinus, so I occasionally do
                        some things there. What can I say, I like to play, and I like to have
                        lots of places to do it! Anywhere I can go to learn old stuff is good
                        with me.

                        See ya around the campfire,

                        Linda
                        VMAA