Hinges

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 28 , May 25, 2005
      >Also I see a variety of metal hinges in art work from
      >the time period but am curious when I don't see
      >hinges on the tops of the boxes. Are they still
      >using the intergal wooden hinges in 1470's?

      If I remember correctly, they tended to build the
      hinge such that the back ran down the outside of the
      box and the top was attached to the underside of the
      lid, so that the pivot was on the plane of the
      underside of the lid (if that makes any sense).

      Sometimes they put the hinges on top - particularly if
      they wanted to make a show of them, a la the heavily
      banded strong boxes.

      Now the punch line - sitting here at work, away from
      my books and stuff - it occures to me that I don't
      have the foggiest notion of how they actually attached
      them! JB Weld is probably out. Clenched nails would
      make sense, but might not be as attractive as one
      might hope for. I can think of a couple clever ways
      you MIGHT do it, but which route they went with....
      Nothing.

      Avery
    • Tom Rettie
      Message 2 of 28 , May 25, 2005
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avery Austringer
        <avery1415@s...> wrote:

        > If I remember correctly, they tended to build the
        > hinge such that the back ran down the outside of the
        > box and the top was attached to the underside of the
        > lid, so that the pivot was on the plane of the
        > underside of the lid (if that makes any sense).

        They also used "cranked" hinges, a form of strap hinge where both
        straps are on the inside and the only part that protrudes is the hinge
        pivot. Very useful when you don't want to mar the outside surface with
        ironwork (such as when painting or carving).

        Fin
        (Tom R.)
      • Stan Hunter
        Message 3 of 28 , May 14, 2009
          Dear All,

          I appologize for not responding earlier. I was on travel and just got back.
          Here are the resources I have found:

          Acorn Hardware has period-ish hardware, designs tend to be early-american
          http://www.acornmfg.com/

          Google search for "iron hinge," "butterfly hinge," etc. will turn up many
          resources for example:
          http://fagansforge.com/

          Google searches for charniere or penture (French), Scharnier (German), etc.
          will find European and Canadian suppliers. For example:
          http://www.atelierduvieuxpin.com/
          http://www.flaner-en-provence.fr/
          www.eurekadeco.com
          http://www.ferrures.com/cgi/uk/index.cfm

          Hardware from these companies is somewhat on the expensive side! But, you
          get what you pay for! Note, many of these companies also provide forged
          nails.
          I get cut nails, available from
          http://www.tremontnail.com/
          (there are other suppliers) and reforge the shanks to a sharp point for
          clinching.

          Sir Stanford
        • Karl Christoffers
          Message 4 of 28 , May 14, 2009
            ... and another entertaining hour lost to Festive-Link Land.

            Thanks for getting back to us Sir Stanford. Fun stuff.

            -Malcolm

            --- On Thu, 5/14/09, Stan Hunter <sd_hunter@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Jim Looper
            Message 5 of 28 , May 14, 2009
              Sir Stanford

              Thank you!

              Lucien

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 16 5:41 PM
                Hey folks, Im looking for some links or phone numbers for someone that makes nice forged hinges. Ive stepped up my building quite a bit in the last year and am now ready to start making better quality gear and would love to find someone that makes both good hinges for chests and some good hand forged nails. So...Any suggestions? ive been doing dome googlesearch but was thinking hmm, go to the source and see what ya'll think.

                Thanks, Wulfgang
                Belmar, NJ
              • clay gilbert
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 17 1:49 AM
                    I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.

                    For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.

                  Clay

                • Robert
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 17 5:51 AM
                    Clay, I saw your site via ETSY. Very cool, I'll take a look at what you have offered right now and well talk in the next couple days.

                    Thanks, Wulfgang

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, clay gilbert <osage224@...> wrote:

                    >   I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.
                    >
                    >   For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.
                    >
                    > Clay

                  • Malik al Haddad
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 17 6:35 PM
                      I get my nails at http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40387&cat=3,41306,41324&ap=1 1 lb about 130 nails are about $11.00.
                      Malik

                      --
                      Y.I.S.
                      Abu Shahid "Malik" al Haddad
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 18 1:45 AM
                        I'll second Tremont

                        On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Malik al Haddad <malikalhaddad@...> wrote:

                        I get my nails at http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40387&cat=3,41306,41324&ap=1 1 lb about 130 nails are about $11.00.
                        Malik

                        On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 1:49 AM, clay gilbert <osage224@...> wrote:

                          I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.

                          For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.

                        Clay

                        --
                        Y.I.S.
                        Abu Shahid "Malik" al Haddad

                        --
                        Jim Hart
                          Conal OhAirt

                      • D. Young
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 18 11:35 AM

                          I was about to plug Clays work....good stuff there.

                          I also do some hinge and related work.  Sold a few on this forum.

                               Custom Commissions Welcome....!

                          www.partsandtechnical.com

                          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                          From: osage224@...
                          Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 01:49:33 -0700

                            I may be able to help with hinges. I make some of everything but specialize in period chest and coffer hardware. www.fungiforge.com I do alot of custom work so if you want to see other things than on my site let me know.

                            For handforged nails expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $6 each. Tremont nails has the best selection of square cut nails.

                          Clay

                        • Scot Eddy
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 25 11:47 AM
                            Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?

                            Grace and Peace,

                            Jovian
                          • Duncan Sinclair
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 25 12:42 PM
                              I've not heard of such a thing outside of a shopsmith. You are probably better of buying a lathe.

                              Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)
                              Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
                              and
                              The Barony of Sternfeld
                              Middle Kingdom

                              Greenwood #514, F&AM

                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 25 1:33 PM

                                www.instructables.com

                                Do a search for turning a drill press into a lathe.

                                Jim

                                Don't blink, you'll miss my flash of brilliance!

                                Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?

                                Grace and Peace,

                                Jovian
                              • Ralph
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 25 6:47 PM
                                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

                                  > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?
                                  > Grace and Peace,
                                  > Jovian

                                  The actual answer is Yes

                                  There is a commercial product called Vertilathe. It is suitable only for light, small, spindle work. I used mine to do some spindle about 9 by 3/4 inch. It's really not all that good.

                                  I replaced it with a mini-lathe, that I have since upgraded with a large lathe, which has been supplemented treadle lathe....

                                  TTFN
                                  Ralg
                                  AnTir
                                • conradh@efn.org
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 26 2:58 PM

                                    > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill
                                    > press into a lathe?

                                    Alexander Weygers, in his _Complete Modern Blacksmith_,p. 54, shows how to
                                    make the conversion kit from scrap metal bits. Tools are the drill press
                                    itself, a couple of files, and a grinder if you have one. (A stemmed
                                    grindstone mounted in the drill press itself is satisfactory if you make
                                    the lathe tool rest first.)

                                    Basically you grind, file and turn a couple of heavy bolts into head and
                                    tail centers, then mount the head (driving) center in the drill chuck and
                                    the tail center in the center hole in the drill press's base plate or work
                                    table. The toolrest is a couple pieces of angle iron that bolt to the
                                    slots in the table. The conversion kit doesn't harm the drill press for
                                    any regular use.

                                    Weygers' book is a gold mine of information for anyone wanting to make
                                    their own woodworking tools or hardware. ISBN 0-89815-896-6 It's one
                                    of the two books I have all my students buy.

                                    Ulfhedinn
                                  • Scot Eddy
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 26 7:19 PM
                                      Thanks for all the info, guys!

                                      Jovian

                                    • avalonbear
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 27 9:11 AM
                                        http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodturning-with-a-drill-press/

                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Is there a conversion kit to buy, or make, that would convert a drill press into a lathe?
                                        > > Grace and Peace,
                                        > > Jovian
                                        > >
                                        > The actual answer is Yes
                                        >
                                        > There is a commercial product called Vertilathe. It is suitable only for light, small, spindle work. I used mine to do some spindle about 9 by 3/4 inch. It's really not all that good.
                                        >
                                        > I replaced it with a mini-lathe, that I have since upgraded with a large lathe, which has been supplemented treadle lathe....
                                        >
                                        > TTFN
                                        > Ralg
                                        > AnTir

                                      • Geirfold
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 22, 2011
                                          Helsa!

                                          I'm looking to find someone that makes and sells Viking Age chest hinges. These do not necessarily need to be Mastermyr style. If anyone here makes them or knows of a site where they can be perchased can you please either post here or send me an email?

                                          Thanks,

                                          Geirfold
                                        • Duncan Sinclair
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 22, 2011
                                            I've been looking for these too............

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 24, 2011
                                              I can make them.

                                              Fungi Forge makes can probably make them also.

                                              To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 25, 2011
                                                Can you send an email with costs?

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                                  Helsa!

                                                  Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on chests?

                                                  I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.

                                                  Thanks,

                                                  Geirfold halvblindi
                                                • James Daily
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                                    Fungi Forge has some period hinges in stock and can make custom ones.

                                                    Lee Valley has some hand forged hinges.  Not sure if these designs are strictly period, but at least they're properly hand forged.

                                                    Van Dyke's Restorers has some "period-esque" hinges.

                                                  • bsrlee2@pacific.net.au
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                                      Lee Valley

                                                      http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                                      The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                                      rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                                      back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                                      out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                                      rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                                      over.

                                                      Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                                      site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                                      I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                                      3/8" thick in reality.

                                                      regards
                                                      Brusi of Orkney
                                                      Rowany/Lochac

                                                      > Helsa!
                                                      >
                                                      > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                                      > chests?
                                                      >
                                                      > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                                      >
                                                      > Thanks,
                                                      >
                                                      > Geirfold halvblindi
                                                    • Gary Link
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                                        Ball and Ball  http://www.ballandball-us.com/

                                                        They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.

                                                        In Service
                                                        Hal
                                                        Middle

                                                        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                                        From: bsrlee2@...
                                                        Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100

                                                        Lee Valley

                                                        http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                                        The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                                        rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                                        back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                                        out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                                        rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                                        over.

                                                        Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                                        site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                                        I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                                        3/8" thick in reality.

                                                        regards
                                                        Brusi of Orkney
                                                        Rowany/Lochac

                                                        > Helsa!
                                                        >
                                                        > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                                        > chests?
                                                        >
                                                        > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                                        >
                                                        > Thanks,
                                                        >
                                                        > Geirfold halvblindi

                                                      • Geirfold
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
                                                          Thanks to everyone that posted. Helps a lot.

                                                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Gary Link <halraeburn@...> wrote:

                                                          > Ball and Ball
                                                          > http://www.ballandball-us.com/
                                                          > They only do reproductions including fasteners, in Brass, Bronze, and Iron. Most of the stuff is 18th century(pre industrial revolution) but much of it is the same or very close to period.
                                                          > In ServiceHalMiddle
                                                          >

                                                          > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                                                          > From: bsrlee2@...
                                                          > Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:49:25 +1100
                                                          > Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hinges

                                                          > Lee Valley
                                                          >

                                                          > http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=41262&cat=3,41241
                                                          >

                                                          > The un-equal arm strap hinges are very close to the shape of some of the
                                                          >
                                                          > rust stains on the Mary Rose chests - the decorative arm goes outside the
                                                          >
                                                          > back & the short, plain arm goes underneath the lid. You can tap the pin
                                                          >
                                                          > out of the knuckle & reverse one leaf easily as the ends of the pin are
                                                          >
                                                          > rounded but the pin is retained by a grove & dimple, not by rivetting
                                                          >
                                                          > over.
                                                          >

                                                          > Van Dykes also sell 'similar' hardware, but the photos in their catalog &
                                                          >
                                                          > site do not give an adequate indication of the thickness of some pieces -
                                                          >
                                                          > I found a nice surface mount hasp & staple that turned out to be about
                                                          >
                                                          > 3/8" thick in reality.
                                                          >

                                                          > regards
                                                          >
                                                          > Brusi of Orkney
                                                          >
                                                          > Rowany/Lochac
                                                          >

                                                          > > Helsa!
                                                          >

                                                          > > Anybody know of a online site that sells late medieval hinges for use on
                                                          >
                                                          > > chests?
                                                          >

                                                          > > I seem to remember listngs a while back but can't find them.
                                                          >

                                                          > > Thanks,
                                                          >

                                                          > > Geirfold halvblindi

                                                        • D. Young
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
                                                            I produce hinges, hand forged nails....etc

                                                            Credits:

                                                            I own numerous pieces of period furniture to study which provides excellent reference:

                                                            • 1450 carved gothic chest
                                                            • 1580 six board chest
                                                            • 1630 joined stool
                                                            • 1660 joined chest
                                                            • 1650 carved box
                                                            • numerous  17th, 18th pieces/components

                                                            --Teach period woodworking using only period replica tools
                                                            --Library has hundreds of furniture and blacksmithing texts
                                                            --Been armouring and smithing for 30 years so I know metal.

                                                            ...So if you need nails or hinges, I keep prices very reasonable because I realize that as hobbyists its not cheap to buy

                                                            email  me  at  partsandtechnical@...

                                                            or

                                                            furnaceplans@...

                                                            Happy to help