Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: planned projects

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
      An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
      If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
      they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
      other items seems reasonable.

      >Thanks, Captain,
      >
      >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
      >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
      >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
      >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
      >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
      >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
      >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
      >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
      >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
      >the maker or the buyer.
      >
      >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
      >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
      >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
      >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
      >
      >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
      >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
      >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
      >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
      >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
      >
      >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
      >
      >-Charlie
      >

      >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
      > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
      >items. I
      > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
      >items.
      > >
      > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
      >Christienson, the
      > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
      >of viking
      > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
      >items are
      > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
      >Captain
      > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
      > >

      > > >they are not Viking...
      > > >
      > > > but check out...
      > > >
      > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
      > > >
      > > > Conal

      > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

      > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

      > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
      > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      > >

      > > --
      > > YIS,
      > >
      > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      > > Privateer to the Midrealm
      > >
      > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

      YIS,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      ...Take time to dance in the rain...

    • Scott Lane
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
        >If you are gonna go as far as
        >doing a reproduction ....
        > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
        >... find a blacksmith and get the
        >hinges custom made. He/She might
        >help you make them, or just want a
        >little help with some grunt work in
        >trade.
        >Where are you?

        I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
        :) Let me know what kind you need?

        Aodhfin
      • vinlandar
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
          --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
          > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
          people
          > :) Let me know what kind you need?
          >
          > Aodhfin

          Ahodfin,

          Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
          the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
          and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

          -Charlie
        • Helen Schultz
          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2009
            These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

            ~~ Katarina Helene

            Message 5 of 18 , May 11, 2009

              Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

              http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

              Will