RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: spoon maker

  • Linda Rice
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 18 12:58 AM
      Cool! Do you know where it is to be filmed? They would never let
      somebody like me actually be in it, I'm not citified or prissy enough!
      (Time to kill the chickens for dinner? Ok, fine, I'll do it! That kind
      of thing.) Besides, I AM a Virginian, we get fed American Colonial
      History from birth.

      See ya when you get here, Patricia!

      Pax,

      Linda
      Virginia Beach, Va.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 18 1:15 AM
        I'm on the Regia list, I could put it out to the general membership.
        I'll let you know what they say.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 18 6:05 AM

          --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
          > Regia Anglorum has (a shave horse) on their webpage, so at least
          > *they* are assuming it's documentable to the Anglo-Saxon/Viking
          > period.

          http://platinum.yahoo.com
        • Patricia Emery
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 18 7:26 AM
            I found what is given to be a copy of a period wood-cut dating to
            around 1541 on a couple of the links provided. Wish I could track
            down the original source for the wood-cut! From what I've read thus
            far, the Bodger seems to be more period than other styles. I'll be
            off to the library later this week - any suggestions on books to
            request through their loan program? Thanks for all of the help - I
            didn't even know where to begin!

            Hey, are they really doing a "Colonial House" or are you just teasing
            us? I'm moving back up to Virginia this fall, so perhaps I can get
            with the coopers at Colonial Williamsburg and learn more about the
            history of the Shave horse and their other tools!

            Jessimond

            > > a period Shave Horse
            >
            > Is there such a thing? Someone set my perception that they were
            > developed after 1600. I'd love to be corrected so when I go on
            > "Colonial House" I can take one with me <grin>.
            >
            > Ulrich
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 18 7:39 AM

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 18 8:48 AM
                --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                > Do you know where it is to be filmed?

                Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were scouting
                locations.

                Ulrich

                http://platinum.yahoo.com
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 18 12:34 PM
                  Gleaned from the following links:

                  Per <http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/horses.html>
                  The shaving horse is first documented in the 1556 De Re Metallica, a
                  German treatise on mining and metalurgy.

                  Per <http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm>
                  The two traditional shaving horse styles are the Continental
                  schnitzelbank or dumbhead and the English bodger�s bench. While the
                  dumbhead shaving horse is seen in 15th and 16th-century illustrations,
                  there is no pictorial or documentary evidence for the English style
                  prior to the late 19th Century.

                  UvL

                  http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/nofram

                  http://www.mystiklongbows.com/Specialty_Items/Shaving_Horse/shaving_hors
                  > e.html
                  > http://www.countryworkshops.org/mule.html
                  > http://www.motherbedford.com/Cooper.htm
                  > http://www.emainc.com/radnor/cooper.htm
                  >

                  > Hope this helps,
                  >
                  > :Linda:

                  http://platinum.yahoo.com
                • Joseph Hayes
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 18 12:37 PM
                    I just saw on the calendar that Swine and Roses is in conflict with
                    Border Raids. I was really looking forward to working in the village.

                    Ulrich

                    http://platinum.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 18 2:41 PM
                      --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                      > --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                      > > Do you know where it is to be filmed?
                      >
                      > Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were
                      > scouting
                      > locations.
                      >
                      > Ulrich

                      Good luck, but based on the past shows
                      you'll probably be rejected cause you know
                      too much...

                      =====

                      http://platinum.yahoo.com
                    • Patricia Emery
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 19 7:50 AM
                        Do you play in the Barony of Marinus? That's where we're heading -
                        Norfolk/Little Creak. We lived there before, from Aug. 1996 to June
                        2001. I can't wait to move back "home"! We didn't get to "play"
                        much when we were there, but hope that will be different this time
                        around...

                        Naturally, we fell in love with Colonial Williamsburg, and cannot
                        wait to see "Colonial House"!

                        Jessimond

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 19 8:13 AM
                          Well, yes and no. I am a member of a small living history group located
                          in Virginia Beach. I also have friends in Marinus, so I occasionally do
                          some things there. What can I say, I like to play, and I like to have
                          lots of places to do it! Anywhere I can go to learn old stuff is good
                          with me.

                          See ya around the campfire,

                          Linda
                          VMAA