RE: [medievalsawdust] spoon maker

  • Linda Rice
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 17, 2003
      Regia Anglorum has one on their webpage, so at least *they* are assuming
      it's documentable to the Anglo-Saxon/Viking period. We tried to write to
      them to ask about it, but never received a suitable reply. (We got the
      answer of "Gee, I dunno. Why don't you ask so-and-so?" The next email
      address bounced.) If you have better luck, could you let us know what
      they say?

      http://www.regia.org/woodwork.htm

      Thanks,

      Linda

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
        Cool! Do you know where it is to be filmed? They would never let
        somebody like me actually be in it, I'm not citified or prissy enough!
        (Time to kill the chickens for dinner? Ok, fine, I'll do it! That kind
        of thing.) Besides, I AM a Virginian, we get fed American Colonial
        History from birth.

        See ya when you get here, Patricia!

        Pax,

        Linda
        Virginia Beach, Va.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
          I'm on the Regia list, I could put it out to the general membership.
          I'll let you know what they say.

          That's funny.... After I sent my last, I did a Google search on
          +"shave horse" +renaissance and also +"shave horse" +medieval and hit
          their site (and not much else). I was wondering if I should e-mail
          them to ask for some leads....

          Ulrich

          --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
          > Regia Anglorum has (a shave horse) on their webpage, so at least
          > *they* are assuming it's documentable to the Anglo-Saxon/Viking
          > period.
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
            > a period Shave Horse

            Is there such a thing? Someone set my perception that they were
            developed after 1600. I'd love to be corrected so when I go on
            "Colonial House" I can take one with me <grin>.

            Ulrich

            http://platinum.yahoo.com
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003

              --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
              > Regia Anglorum has (a shave horse) on their webpage, so at least
              > *they* are assuming it's documentable to the Anglo-Saxon/Viking
              > period.

              http://platinum.yahoo.com
            • Patricia Emery
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                I found what is given to be a copy of a period wood-cut dating to
                around 1541 on a couple of the links provided. Wish I could track
                down the original source for the wood-cut! From what I've read thus
                far, the Bodger seems to be more period than other styles. I'll be
                off to the library later this week - any suggestions on books to
                request through their loan program? Thanks for all of the help - I
                didn't even know where to begin!

                Hey, are they really doing a "Colonial House" or are you just teasing
                us? I'm moving back up to Virginia this fall, so perhaps I can get
                with the coopers at Colonial Williamsburg and learn more about the
                history of the Shave horse and their other tools!

                Jessimond

                > > a period Shave Horse
                >
                > Is there such a thing? Someone set my perception that they were
                > developed after 1600. I'd love to be corrected so when I go on
                > "Colonial House" I can take one with me <grin>.
                >
                > Ulrich
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                    --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                    > Do you know where it is to be filmed?

                    Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were scouting
                    locations.

                    Ulrich

                    http://platinum.yahoo.com
                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                      Gleaned from the following links:

                      Per <http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/horses.html>
                      The shaving horse is first documented in the 1556 De Re Metallica, a
                      German treatise on mining and metalurgy.

                      Per <http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm>
                      The two traditional shaving horse styles are the Continental
                      schnitzelbank or dumbhead and the English bodger�s bench. While the
                      dumbhead shaving horse is seen in 15th and 16th-century illustrations,
                      there is no pictorial or documentary evidence for the English style
                      prior to the late 19th Century.

                      UvL

                      http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/nofram

                      http://www.mystiklongbows.com/Specialty_Items/Shaving_Horse/shaving_hors
                      > e.html
                      > http://www.countryworkshops.org/mule.html
                      > http://www.motherbedford.com/Cooper.htm
                      > http://www.emainc.com/radnor/cooper.htm
                      >

                      > Hope this helps,
                      >
                      > :Linda:

                      http://platinum.yahoo.com
                    • Joseph Hayes
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                        I just saw on the calendar that Swine and Roses is in conflict with
                        Border Raids. I was really looking forward to working in the village.

                        Ulrich

                        http://platinum.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                          --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                          > --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                          > > Do you know where it is to be filmed?
                          >
                          > Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were
                          > scouting
                          > locations.
                          >
                          > Ulrich

                          Good luck, but based on the past shows
                          you'll probably be rejected cause you know
                          too much...

                          =====

                          http://platinum.yahoo.com
                        • Patricia Emery
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 19, 2003
                            Do you play in the Barony of Marinus? That's where we're heading -
                            Norfolk/Little Creak. We lived there before, from Aug. 1996 to June
                            2001. I can't wait to move back "home"! We didn't get to "play"
                            much when we were there, but hope that will be different this time
                            around...

                            Naturally, we fell in love with Colonial Williamsburg, and cannot
                            wait to see "Colonial House"!

                            Jessimond

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 19, 2003
                              Well, yes and no. I am a member of a small living history group located
                              in Virginia Beach. I also have friends in Marinus, so I occasionally do
                              some things there. What can I say, I like to play, and I like to have
                              lots of places to do it! Anywhere I can go to learn old stuff is good
                              with me.

                              See ya around the campfire,

                              Linda
                              VMAA