RE: [medievalsawdust] spoon maker

  • Linda Rice
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 17, 2003
      Ok, I just assembled a list of links for shave horses for one of our
      guys, so this was right at hand:

      http://www.inthewoodshop.org/destinations/cw98a.shtml
      http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm
      http://www.countryworkshops.org/CWshavehorse.html
      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/horses.html
      http://www.primitiveways.com/shaving-horse.html
      http://members.aol.com/bodgerbord/main.html
      http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/nofram
      es/read/1299
      http://www.mystiklongbows.com/Specialty_Items/Shaving_Horse/shaving_hors
      e.html
      http://www.countryworkshops.org/mule.html
      http://www.motherbedford.com/Cooper.htm
      http://www.emainc.com/radnor/cooper.htm

      Hope this helps,

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 17, 2003
          Regia Anglorum has one on their webpage, so at least *they* are assuming
          it's documentable to the Anglo-Saxon/Viking period. We tried to write to
          them to ask about it, but never received a suitable reply. (We got the
          answer of "Gee, I dunno. Why don't you ask so-and-so?" The next email
          address bounced.) If you have better luck, could you let us know what
          they say?

          http://www.regia.org/woodwork.htm

          Thanks,

          Linda

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
            Cool! Do you know where it is to be filmed? They would never let
            somebody like me actually be in it, I'm not citified or prissy enough!
            (Time to kill the chickens for dinner? Ok, fine, I'll do it! That kind
            of thing.) Besides, I AM a Virginian, we get fed American Colonial
            History from birth.

            See ya when you get here, Patricia!

            Pax,

            Linda
            Virginia Beach, Va.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
              I'm on the Regia list, I could put it out to the general membership.
              I'll let you know what they say.

              That's funny.... After I sent my last, I did a Google search on
              +"shave horse" +renaissance and also +"shave horse" +medieval and hit
              their site (and not much else). I was wondering if I should e-mail
              them to ask for some leads....

              Ulrich

              --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
              > Regia Anglorum has (a shave horse) on their webpage, so at least
              > *they* are assuming it's documentable to the Anglo-Saxon/Viking
              > period.
            • Joseph Hayes
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                > a period Shave Horse

                Is there such a thing? Someone set my perception that they were
                developed after 1600. I'd love to be corrected so when I go on
                "Colonial House" I can take one with me <grin>.

                Ulrich

                http://platinum.yahoo.com
              • Joseph Hayes
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003

                  --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                  > Regia Anglorum has (a shave horse) on their webpage, so at least
                  > *they* are assuming it's documentable to the Anglo-Saxon/Viking
                  > period.

                  http://platinum.yahoo.com
                • Patricia Emery
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                    I found what is given to be a copy of a period wood-cut dating to
                    around 1541 on a couple of the links provided. Wish I could track
                    down the original source for the wood-cut! From what I've read thus
                    far, the Bodger seems to be more period than other styles. I'll be
                    off to the library later this week - any suggestions on books to
                    request through their loan program? Thanks for all of the help - I
                    didn't even know where to begin!

                    Hey, are they really doing a "Colonial House" or are you just teasing
                    us? I'm moving back up to Virginia this fall, so perhaps I can get
                    with the coopers at Colonial Williamsburg and learn more about the
                    history of the Shave horse and their other tools!

                    Jessimond

                    > > a period Shave Horse
                    >
                    > Is there such a thing? Someone set my perception that they were
                    > developed after 1600. I'd love to be corrected so when I go on
                    > "Colonial House" I can take one with me <grin>.
                    >
                    > Ulrich
                  • Joseph Hayes
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                        --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                        > Do you know where it is to be filmed?

                        Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were scouting
                        locations.

                        Ulrich

                        http://platinum.yahoo.com
                      • Joseph Hayes
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                          Gleaned from the following links:

                          Per <http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/horses.html>
                          The shaving horse is first documented in the 1556 De Re Metallica, a
                          German treatise on mining and metalurgy.

                          Per <http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm>
                          The two traditional shaving horse styles are the Continental
                          schnitzelbank or dumbhead and the English bodger�s bench. While the
                          dumbhead shaving horse is seen in 15th and 16th-century illustrations,
                          there is no pictorial or documentary evidence for the English style
                          prior to the late 19th Century.

                          UvL

                          --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                          > Ok, I just assembled a list of links for shave horses for one of our
                          > guys, so this was right at hand:
                          >
                          > http://www.inthewoodshop.org/destinations/cw98a.shtml
                          > http://www.greenwoodworking.com/shorse.htm
                          > http://www.countryworkshops.org/CWshavehorse.html
                          > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/horses.html
                          > http://www.primitiveways.com/shaving-horse.html
                          > http://members.aol.com/bodgerbord/main.html

                          http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl/nofram
                          > es/read/1299

                          http://www.mystiklongbows.com/Specialty_Items/Shaving_Horse/shaving_hors
                          > e.html
                          > http://www.countryworkshops.org/mule.html
                          > http://www.motherbedford.com/Cooper.htm
                          > http://www.emainc.com/radnor/cooper.htm
                          >

                          > Hope this helps,
                          >
                          > :Linda:

                          http://platinum.yahoo.com
                        • Joseph Hayes
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                            I just saw on the calendar that Swine and Roses is in conflict with
                            Border Raids. I was really looking forward to working in the village.

                            Ulrich

                            http://platinum.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 18, 2003
                              --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

                              > --- Linda Rice <vmaa2@...> wrote:
                              > > Do you know where it is to be filmed?
                              >
                              > Nope. I seem to recall the website saying they were
                              > scouting
                              > locations.
                              >
                              > Ulrich

                              Good luck, but based on the past shows
                              you'll probably be rejected cause you know
                              too much...

                              =====

                              http://platinum.yahoo.com
                            • Patricia Emery
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 19, 2003
                                Do you play in the Barony of Marinus? That's where we're heading -
                                Norfolk/Little Creak. We lived there before, from Aug. 1996 to June
                                2001. I can't wait to move back "home"! We didn't get to "play"
                                much when we were there, but hope that will be different this time
                                around...

                                Naturally, we fell in love with Colonial Williamsburg, and cannot
                                wait to see "Colonial House"!

                                Jessimond

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 19, 2003
                                  Well, yes and no. I am a member of a small living history group located
                                  in Virginia Beach. I also have friends in Marinus, so I occasionally do
                                  some things there. What can I say, I like to play, and I like to have
                                  lots of places to do it! Anywhere I can go to learn old stuff is good
                                  with me.

                                  See ya around the campfire,

                                  Linda
                                  VMAA