Re: wire nails?

  • unclefox2001
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2003
      Some of the hinges found in the Viking age birka graves had clinched
      nails on them.

      Also if you look at the tools found in the Mastermyr find you will
      find a nail making iron. The nails made are just like the ones we buy
      today only each hand forged. If you have accessto "The Mastermyr
      Find" by Greta Aewidsson and Gosta Berg you can see the iron on pl 12.

      Thoron

      <baronconal@y...> wrote:
      > ok...
      > They had wire way back in the dark
      > reaches of the dark ages....
      >
      > Did wire nails or brads exist? Or
      > was the wire too soft to use as a
      > fastener...?
      >
      > What was the smallest nail/brad they
      > used?
      >
      > Anyone know?
      >

      > =====
      > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      > Aude Aliquid Dignum
      > ' Dare Something Worthy '

      > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • robert frazier
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2003
        nails are easier to make from square rod.when you taper anything
        metal it's done by starting square or making it square.
        a wire pulling machine is found late period so for most of the period
        we deal with wire was made by hand and used for ornimation.

        <baronconal@y...> wrote:
        > ok...
        > They had wire way back in the dark
        > reaches of the dark ages....
        >
        > Did wire nails or brads exist? Or
        > was the wire too soft to use as a
        > fastener...?
        >
        > What was the smallest nail/brad they
        > used?
        >
        > Anyone know?
        >

        > =====
        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
        > ' Dare Something Worthy '

        > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Ceara ni Neill
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2003
          If it's a very small job, I've found that carpet tacks work well. They
          look hand forged & they're square. I attatched leather hinges to a coronet
          box with them: http://housebarra.com/projects/cbox04.jpg
          These were originally a steel color but I painted them with copper enamel
          paint. They're small though, they are carpet tacks after all.

          --
          ===Ceara ni Neill
          http://HouseBarra.com