Re: [medievalsawdust] wire nails?

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003
      >Doesn't matter how soft it is, if it's clinched - as almost all medieval
      >nails were.
      >
      >I don't think this is because the nails were too soft - I can drive soft
      >iron nails into predrilled oak - rather, it was simply their paradigm.
      >
      >(Never say 'always' or 'never,' though; I think there are some late 16th
      >century boarded chests that appear to be fastened with nails instead of pegs.)

      Actually you'll find nails used in the construction of chests and hutches
      at least back to the 12th/13th century. And clinching obviously applies
      only where the nail protrudes from both pieces being joined. There are any
      number of surviving 6-board chests where a board is joined into the
      side-grain of another board, and thus the nail does not protrude.

      Tom R.

      Tom Rettie tom@...
      Heather Bryden bryden@...
    • unclefox2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15, 2003
        Some of the hinges found in the Viking age birka graves had clinched
        nails on them.

        Also if you look at the tools found in the Mastermyr find you will
        find a nail making iron. The nails made are just like the ones we buy
        today only each hand forged. If you have accessto "The Mastermyr
        Find" by Greta Aewidsson and Gosta Berg you can see the iron on pl 12.

        Thoron

        <baronconal@y...> wrote:
        > ok...
        > They had wire way back in the dark
        > reaches of the dark ages....
        >
        > Did wire nails or brads exist? Or
        > was the wire too soft to use as a
        > fastener...?
        >
        > What was the smallest nail/brad they
        > used?
        >
        > Anyone know?
        >

        > =====
        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
        > Aude Aliquid Dignum
        > ' Dare Something Worthy '

        > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • robert frazier
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2003
          nails are easier to make from square rod.when you taper anything
          metal it's done by starting square or making it square.
          a wire pulling machine is found late period so for most of the period
          we deal with wire was made by hand and used for ornimation.

          <baronconal@y...> wrote:
          > ok...
          > They had wire way back in the dark
          > reaches of the dark ages....
          >
          > Did wire nails or brads exist? Or
          > was the wire too soft to use as a
          > fastener...?
          >
          > What was the smallest nail/brad they
          > used?
          >
          > Anyone know?
          >

          > =====
          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

          > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Ceara ni Neill
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2003
            If it's a very small job, I've found that carpet tacks work well. They
            look hand forged & they're square. I attatched leather hinges to a coronet
            box with them: http://housebarra.com/projects/cbox04.jpg
            These were originally a steel color but I painted them with copper enamel
            paint. They're small though, they are carpet tacks after all.

            --
            ===Ceara ni Neill
            http://HouseBarra.com