Re: planned projects

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
      Thanks, Captain,

      I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
      Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
      to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
      little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
      the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
      passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
      there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
      toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
      would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
      the maker or the buyer.

      Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
      that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
      the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
      stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

      Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
      meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
      works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
      L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
      chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

      If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

      -Charlie

      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
      > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
      items. I
      > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
      items.

      > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
      Christienson, the
      > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
      of viking
      > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
      items are
      > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
      Captain
      > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
      >

      > >they are not Viking...
      > >
      > > but check out...
      > >
      > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
      > >
      > > Conal
      > >--- vinlandar <vinlandar@c...> wrote:
      > > > Hi, Conal,
      > > >
      > > > yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from
      > > > whence I will be
      > > > drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a
      > > > simple chest to
      > > > keep some of my stuff in.
      > > >
      > > > stool:
      > > >
      > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html
      > > >
      > > > Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit,
      > > > and make mine
      > > > about half as long as this one.
      > > >
      > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html
      > > >
      > > > I have done a little working with wood before, but I
      > > > am not an
      > > > experienced woodworker.
      > > >
      > > > -Charlie
      > > >

      > > > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
      > > > <baronconal@y...>

      > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
      > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      >

      > --
      > YIS,
      >
      > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      > Privateer to the Midrealm
      >
      > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
        An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
        If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
        they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
        other items seems reasonable.

        >Thanks, Captain,
        >
        >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
        >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
        >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
        >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
        >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
        >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
        >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
        >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
        >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
        >the maker or the buyer.
        >
        >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
        >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
        >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
        >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
        >
        >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
        >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
        >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
        >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
        >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
        >
        >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
        >
        >-Charlie
        >

        >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
        > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
        >items. I
        > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
        >items.
        > >
        > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
        >Christienson, the
        > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
        >of viking
        > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
        >items are
        > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
        >Captain
        > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
        > >

        > > >they are not Viking...
        > > >
        > > > but check out...
        > > >
        > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
        > > >
        > > > Conal

        > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

        > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

        > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
        > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        > >

        > > --
        > > YIS,
        > >
        > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        > > Privateer to the Midrealm
        > >
        > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        ...Take time to dance in the rain...

      • Scott Lane
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
          >If you are gonna go as far as
          >doing a reproduction ....
          > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
          >... find a blacksmith and get the
          >hinges custom made. He/She might
          >help you make them, or just want a
          >little help with some grunt work in
          >trade.
          >Where are you?

          I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
          :) Let me know what kind you need?

          Aodhfin
        • vinlandar
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
            --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
            > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
            people
            > :) Let me know what kind you need?
            >
            > Aodhfin

            Ahodfin,

            Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
            the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
            and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

            -Charlie
          • Helen Schultz
            Message 5 of 18 , May 11, 2009
              These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

              ~~ Katarina Helene

              Message 6 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                Will