Re: [medievalsawdust] wire nails?

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003
      > Did wire nails or brads exist? Or
      >was the wire too soft to use as a
      >fastener...?
      >
      > What was the smallest nail/brad they
      >used?

      Building accounts from the 16th century make references to "broddes," which
      seem to be what we call brads. I'd guess not made from drawn wire, but
      functionally the same idea.

      L.F. Salzman has an excellent (if somewhat long) discussion on the various
      kinds of nails used in the Middle Ages and their likely purposes in his
      book "Building in England Down to 1540." Apparently even early on (13th
      century), nails were tinned ("whitnail, withehedenayll, tynnayl") for
      corrosion resistance and for a nice bright look. The overall gist of
      Salzman's article is that nails were not at all uncommon and were used in
      hundreds of applications. Basically, if you can think of an application
      (doors, roofing, floors, windows, ship building, etc.) they had a nail for
      it.

      Hope that helps,

      Tom R.

      Tom Rettie tom@...
      Heather Bryden bryden@...
    • Tom Rettie
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2003
        >Doesn't matter how soft it is, if it's clinched - as almost all medieval
        >nails were.
        >
        >I don't think this is because the nails were too soft - I can drive soft
        >iron nails into predrilled oak - rather, it was simply their paradigm.
        >
        >(Never say 'always' or 'never,' though; I think there are some late 16th
        >century boarded chests that appear to be fastened with nails instead of pegs.)

        Actually you'll find nails used in the construction of chests and hutches
        at least back to the 12th/13th century. And clinching obviously applies
        only where the nail protrudes from both pieces being joined. There are any
        number of surviving 6-board chests where a board is joined into the
        side-grain of another board, and thus the nail does not protrude.

        Tom R.

        Tom Rettie tom@...
        Heather Bryden bryden@...
      • unclefox2001
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 15, 2003
          Some of the hinges found in the Viking age birka graves had clinched
          nails on them.

          Also if you look at the tools found in the Mastermyr find you will
          find a nail making iron. The nails made are just like the ones we buy
          today only each hand forged. If you have accessto "The Mastermyr
          Find" by Greta Aewidsson and Gosta Berg you can see the iron on pl 12.

          Thoron

          <baronconal@y...> wrote:
          > ok...
          > They had wire way back in the dark
          > reaches of the dark ages....
          >
          > Did wire nails or brads exist? Or
          > was the wire too soft to use as a
          > fastener...?
          >
          > What was the smallest nail/brad they
          > used?
          >
          > Anyone know?
          >

          > =====
          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

          > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • robert frazier
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2003
            nails are easier to make from square rod.when you taper anything
            metal it's done by starting square or making it square.
            a wire pulling machine is found late period so for most of the period
            we deal with wire was made by hand and used for ornimation.

            <baronconal@y...> wrote:
            > ok...
            > They had wire way back in the dark
            > reaches of the dark ages....
            >
            > Did wire nails or brads exist? Or
            > was the wire too soft to use as a
            > fastener...?
            >
            > What was the smallest nail/brad they
            > used?
            >
            > Anyone know?
            >

            > =====
            > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
            > Aude Aliquid Dignum
            > ' Dare Something Worthy '

            > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Ceara ni Neill
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2003
              If it's a very small job, I've found that carpet tacks work well. They
              look hand forged & they're square. I attatched leather hinges to a coronet
              box with them: http://housebarra.com/projects/cbox04.jpg
              These were originally a steel color but I painted them with copper enamel
              paint. They're small though, they are carpet tacks after all.

              --
              ===Ceara ni Neill
              http://HouseBarra.com