Re: [MedievalSawdust] Painting furniture

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 31 , May 17, 2005
      > Is furniture usually stained due to our modern love of woodgrain, or out of
      > ignorance for the accepted medieval practice of painting? Do some of you
      > know exactly how you would paint a piece but find you haven't the heart to
      > paint it? Are some of you staining to achieve the timeworn look of unfinished
      > wood that was seen in the middle ages? Those of you who do paint your
      > work, what do you use, milk paint or egg tempera?
      > These seem to be the ones most folks agree as being closest to accurate,
      > and they seem to be more durable and faithful in texture and color. Has
      > anyone ever used gilt varnish on a piece, or gold leaf?
      > Painters and gilters, got any pictures?
      > Would there be a general outcry from modern observers if we, striving for
      > authenticity, began to paint more often? Should we strive to do so in an
      > attempt to educate?

      Well, personally I don't paint (or stain!) for two reasons:

      1) I do have a love for the look of wood and hate to see it
      'blemished' in any way, so I always do simple finishes with oils/etc
      (usually with my 'medieval mix', linseed, turpentine, and beeswax).

      2) I primarily do crossbow making, and no extent crossbows were
      painted ... in fact, they definately weren't, since it would have
      hidden the fact that they were quite often inlayed or 'thick-veneered'
      with different species of wood for appearance sake.

      Now, that aside ... I do see a 'problem', in the SCA, with painting
      furniture/boxes/etc. While it's period ... if one is making such a
      thing to enter into an A&S competition, I feel that it would probably
      not be competitively seen.

      The reason? Because people can't see what wood it was made of, they
      can't see what joinery was used, they can't examine the smoothness of
      it. As far as they know, if it was a good paint job, it's plywood
      and biscuit jointed.

      Now, it would be a different story if it was painted, in a fancy way,
      and it was the painting that was the A&S entry.

      Siegfried

      Message 31 of 31 , May 18, 2005

        > Hmmm... not sure I see the benefit of a single set
        > of criteria. But go
        > ahead and discuss the benefits as you see them... I
        > might be able to be
        > convinced :)
        >
        > Haraldr

        Even if its just criteria for this list, it
        at least lets us have a way to standardise
        the way an item would be judged.