Painting furniture

  • finnicandub
    Message 1 of 31 , May 16, 2005
      Hey, gang.

      I'm new, first post, glad to be here. I've been involved in the SCA for about 15
      years, usually as a performer, recently as a clothing enthusiast and Rapier
      student. I've meandered all about the arts scene and have found my interests
      are far too widely cast to be reasonable for real life. In other words, I often get
      too many irons in the fire.

      One thing that has stayed with me is my interest in improving my camp
      furniture. This led to basic woodworking, which led to woodturning, which led
      to finishes, etc. Sound familiar?

      Now that I have access to some amazing tools and information, I find myself
      wanting to get as period as possible. Which leads to this question...

      Is furniture usually stained due to our modern love of woodgrain, or out of
      ignorance for the accepted medieval practice of painting? Do some of you
      know exactly how you would paint a piece but find you haven't the heart to
      paint it? Are some of you staining to achieve the timeworn look of unfinished
      wood that was seen in the middle ages? Those of you who do paint your
      work, what do you use, milk paint or egg tempera?
      These seem to be the ones most folks agree as being closest to accurate,
      and they seem to be more durable and faithful in texture and color. Has
      anyone ever used gilt varnish on a piece, or gold leaf?
      Painters and gilters, got any pictures?
      Would there be a general outcry from modern observers if we, striving for
      authenticity, began to paint more often? Should we strive to do so in an
      attempt to educate?

      Thanks, everyone. Look forward to hearing your views.

      ~Finnacan
      Message 31 of 31 , May 18, 2005

        > Hmmm... not sure I see the benefit of a single set
        > of criteria. But go
        > ahead and discuss the benefits as you see them... I
        > might be able to be
        > convinced :)
        >
        > Haraldr

        Even if its just criteria for this list, it
        at least lets us have a way to standardise
        the way an item would be judged.