Re: [medievalsawdust] June

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
      --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@...> wrote:
      > I am going to be teaching a class on "Tying Knots and Nets" I don't
      > know, perhaps a wood class as well, gotta think about it.

      Let's see... Take a net, add some sicks on the end... Instant
      hammock!

      Hammock is a period word (from the Spanish hamaca, from the Taino, the
      natives of Puerto Rico) that dates from 1555. Anyone ever seen a
      depiction of a period hammock?

      Ulrich

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
        Not so far, I'll have to look. I didn't know that. Thanks

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        ...Take time to dance in the rain...

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
          --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

          > --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@...> wrote:
          > > I am going to be teaching a class on "Tying Knots
          > and Nets" I don't
          > > know, perhaps a wood class as well, gotta think
          > about it.
          >
          > Let's see... Take a net, add some sicks on the
          > end... Instant
          > hammock!
          >
          > Hammock is a period word (from the Spanish hamaca,
          > from the Taino, the
          > natives of Puerto Rico) that dates from 1555.
          > Anyone ever seen a
          > depiction of a period hammock?
          >
          > Ulrich

          does 'hamaca' mean hammock?

          Hey Charles post a pic of that bed
          we talked about at pennsic...

          =====

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Joseph Hayes
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2003
            --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
            > does 'hamaca' mean hammock?

            Yes, hamaca is the Spanish word for hammock. BTW, it also forms the
            basis for the Spanish verb hamacar, meaning "to swing."

            Ulrich

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/