hi all! quick chest question

  • Shane Stainton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8 8:42 AM
      Ive been told theres no period example of medieval chests being lined
      with anything. Is this true? I wanted to apolster the interior of a
      chest with raw wool and linin or leather so that it could be usefull
      for fragiles as well as sundrys. any advie as far as the authenticity
      of such?
      oh and hey! hi im new! *grins*
      Shane Stainton
      Lord Fergal the Botteler
    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8 9:59 AM
        Good morning, Fergal!

        I am not personally aware of any examples that would suggest a padded lining in a general purpose chest using in medieval Europe. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahead and make the sort chest you describe.  A lot of things people make for daily use in the SCA present an outward appearance that is correct for the period intended, yet effectively conceal more modern underpinnings.  Therefore, if a padded lining best serves your purposes, go for it.  Caveat:  Do not use this line of reasoning to document a piece for an arts competition.

        If what you want is a presentation case for that one bottle of really fine mead, this will work nicely.  It also works well as travel cases for coronets.  If you're just trying to keep things from clinking together during transport, you might be better off making individual bags for the delicate items. (Think Crown Royal here.)

        Charles Joiner
        Obligatory Disclaimer™: This message represents the opinions of one guy in Caid, and are by no means authoritative.  Use at your own risk.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 8 10:50 AM
          thank you charles :)
          think Ill go unlined, the forgework today for the straps and hinges is
          REALLY taking a big bite out of my time remaining till deadline.
          on anouther not, front closures BESIDES locks? keeping in mind this is
          a fairly dressy piece...many thanks ahead of time
          Shane
        • Chuck Phillips
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8 11:26 AM
            You're welcome!

            With respect to closures, what does your exemplar have?  Also, what is appropriate for the piece?  If you're making a tax collector's chest, then several hefty closures, each with a padlock, is a good choice.  It sounds more like you're making a small presentation case, rather akin to a jewelry box. If this is the case, then a clean exterior is more important.  In the end, the choice is yours.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 8 11:35 AM

              I’ve got a picture of at least one velvet lined, leather covered casket about jewelry box sized.  Lemme see here . . .

              Here we are:

              “Rare late 15th century Ironbound Gothic Coffret with adomed top and covered in embossed leather with an inscription in the front left top panel – MARIA – typical period handly on a walnut carcase.

              28 cmW x 19cmH x 15 cmD

              11”W x 7.5”H x 6” D

              #6,000 Approximately 8,400 eu

              By observation, you can see that it has a velvet lining.  Pictures are in the Photos section, in the “Will’s Work” folder.

              Master Will

              http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

              Message 6 of 9 , May 8 11:45 AM
                this chest is VERY loosely based on a cross between the mastermeyr
                *prolly spelled that wrong heh* and a generic campstool chest, done in
                oak with strapping hinges similair to the laneham church chest. Im
                going to be paneling the outside with leather but not too much because
                curing and planing all that darned oak was hard work and I want to
                show it off! *grins*
                the joinery is a hodgepodge as is obviously the hardware, its my first
                venture into medieval style joinery, heck its my first venture into
                ANY joinery.
                used dado lapped joint planking throughout with "strakes" pegged to
                the planks and pegged the endboards, its a real hodgepodge hehe, its a
                award for a tournament called war of the roses here in the EK ...
                basically the techniques are period and the general appearance is but
                the assembly is most definately "early Shane" ;)

                its a fairly refined piece though. Id like to avoid hasps or plate
                locks. any other recommendations please? thank you all for your help
                in this.
                *ps Ive DEFINATELY been bitten by the woodbug...and living down the
                road a 1/4 mile from a huge mill sure doesnt hurt *grins*
              • Chuck Phillips
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8 12:44 PM
                  Mastermyr, eh?  (Grabs book, flips pages) Looks like the bottom is set in a stopped dado of the end pieces, and is pinned into a rabbet (rebate, in the Queen's English) with iron nails.  The sides are pinned to the ends with a half-lap joint, and the lid is fastened with a pair of strap hinges.  The lock is housed completely within the interior of the chet, so you should be able to use a modern surface mount or half-mortise lock.  The surface mount is considerably easier to install...

                  Charles

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8 2:08 PM
                    nonononononoononononono

                    lol

                    im asking what OTHER types of clasps could be found in the middle ages
                    for chests BESIDES hasps and locks.

                    thoughts?
                    thank you. :)
                    Shane
                  • Chuck Phillips
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9 8:39 AM
                      <Roseann Rosannadanna>
                      Oh. Never mind.
                      <\Roseann Rosannadanna>

                      Perhaps a couple of leather straps and buckles?

                      Charles