Re: [MedievalSawdust] could you would you

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2005
      > Wood ; Modulus of Rupture (lbs/in^2) ; Modulus of Elasticity (ksi)
      > Red Oak ; 14,300 ; 1,800
      > Poplar, yellow ; 10,100 ; 1,580
      > Pine, Eastern White ; 8,600 ; 1,240
      > Ceder, Western Red ; 7,500 ; 1,110

      What about Tulip popular, which I understand to be the standard
      popular that us in the mid-Atlantic get.

      Siegfried

    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5, 2005
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
        <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
        > Damn Calontiri!
        >
        > Halv

        I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this

        Ralg
        AnTir
        _
      • Avraham
        Message 3 of 23 , May 5, 2005
          Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
          Avraham

          >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
          ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
          > > Damn Calontiri!
          > >
          > > Halv
          > >
          > I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
          >
          >Ralg
          >AnTir
        • Trevor Payne
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5, 2005
            LOL, thought that was you, but I wasn't sure ;)

            Aiden

            Message 5 of 23 , May 5, 2005
              >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
              >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if you're
              >reading off the web, let me know and I'll forward the picture to you.

              For those people who read this group in digest mode, all attachments
              are stripped off.

              --
              Steve Mercer
              mercer@...
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                --- Avraham <avraham@...> wrote:
                > Um, make what?
                > Avraham
                > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                see attachment...

                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                  --- Joseph Paul <josephnjody@...> wrote:
                  > Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I
                  > have been thinking on the
                  > same subject but I have the luxury of planing my
                  > rough cut stock to size.
                  > With that capability in mind what would be a good
                  > thickness of poplar to do
                  > a faldstool in?

                  I was looking for something to do with the
                  scrap/off-fall shorts that I had collected
                  and had just finshed the two in white oak.
                  So the foldstol was near the top of my list
                  of things I'm thinking aboput right now. I've
                  got a few randon lenghts and widths that could
                  easlily be cut down to the 1 1/2" stock I used
                  for the whitew oak stools....

                  Unless someone has another idea....

                  So here's another question for the group.

                  What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                  too big to throw away, but not big enough
                  for most projects?

                  ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                  pattens.... )

                  __________________________________
                  Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                • Chuck Phillips
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                    But it is a rather small world, after all.  Particularly so when you have a subset like this.

                    Charles Joiner
                    Who can still remember most of "Song of the Shield Wall"...
                    Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
                    Avraham

                    >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                    ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                    > > Damn Calontiri!
                    > >
                    > > Halv
                    > >
                    >   I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
                    >
                    >Ralg
                    >AnTir

                  • ewdysar
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                      Actually Yahoo does strip the attachments. I only read these
                      messages on the Yahoo group site and there's no picture or brief
                      description of what you're talking about.

                      Now for this particular question, I probably don't care. If anyone
                      joined the group today or later and read the post on the board, they
                      would not ever have any idea of what is being discussed.

                      My guess is that you're trying to build an ark, the Noah's type, not
                      the covenant type. I think that poplar would be OK because it only
                      needs to hold up for a couple of months, but you're going to need
                      alot of lumber... ;)

                      Eric

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avraham <avraham@e...> wrote:
                      > Wolf,
                      > Ah - down *below* all the yahoo ad stuff. I've never been on a
                      list that
                      > wasn't set to strip attachments before, now I know. Thanks!
                      >

                      > >Avraham;
                      > >
                      > >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
                      > >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if
                      you're
                      > >reading off the web...
                      > > >
                      > > > Um, make what?
                      > > > Avraham
                      > > > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                    • Lord Alessandro dEste
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 10, 2005
                        <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                        > Unless someone has another idea....
                        > So here's another question for the group.
                        > What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                        > too big to throw away, but not big enough
                        > for most projects?
                        >
                        > ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                        > pattens.... )
                        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                        Someone has another idea
                        And That someone is me. LOL
                        Everyweek here in sternfeld we have a meeting called"Stuff and
                        nonsence".Held at Master JP Devereaux and Mistress Baroness Priscilla
                        the Hun's home. We try to help others in the barony with what ever
                        projects they are working on. What I and Master Devereaux do with are
                        scraps is to bring them out and see if anyone needs them. But You now
                        have given me a idea . Thank you Baron Conal. One can only wear so
                        many pairs of pattens.But a barony can wear many. A group project that
                        we are working on this would be a great addition too.
                        IYS
                        Lord Alessandro dEste