RE: [MedievalSawdust] could you would you

  • Joseph Paul
    Message 1 of 23 , May 5, 2005
      Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I have been thinking on the same subject but I have the luxury of planing my rough cut stock to size.  With that capability in mind what would be a good thickness of poplar to do a faldstool in?

      Oh by the way: Hi everybody! I am new here and only so-so skilled with wood but very interested in medieval furniture and techniques.

      Jamie Blackrose
      Message 2 of 23 , May 5, 2005
        Hello all,
        This is my first post here and hopefully I won't offend the more medievally minded of you by being a geek on my first post.

        From Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Chapter 6, Table 6.7.2 Strengths and related properties of Wood...

        Wood ; Modulus of Rupture (lbs/in^2) ; Modulus of Elasticity (ksi)
        Red Oak ; 14,300 ; 1,800
        Poplar, yellow ; 10,100 ; 1,580
        Pine, Eastern White ; 8,600 ; 1,240
        Ceder, Western Red ; 7,500 ; 1,110

        Therefore: if there are no extra legs or changes to structure and the boards are all equivilent in size we can expect the Poplar fauld stool to support 70% of the load caried by the red oak before similar failure and have 115% of the flex. Obviously the legs will flex farther, changing the moment arms, affecting the loading and throwing the math all to hell. Western red cedar would be about 55% of load.

        To thicken the poplar for equivilent strength it is necessary to determine loading type, which is mostly bending and subject to the formula Stress = M*c/I where c = half the board thickness and I = width*height^3/12. A finished thickness of 7/8" is almost sufficient and a finished thickness of 1" is plenty.

        Thanks for giving me an excuse to be an engineer. :)

        Sean

        Message 3 of 23 , May 5, 2005
          HEY Jamie...  welcome aboard -
          Chas.

          Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I have been thinking on the same subject but I have the luxury of planing my rough cut stock to size.  With that capability in mind what would be a good thickness of poplar to do a faldstool in?

          Oh by the way: Hi everybody! I am new here and only so-so skilled with wood but very interested in medieval furniture and techniques.

          Jamie Blackrose
        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5, 2005
            > Wood ; Modulus of Rupture (lbs/in^2) ; Modulus of Elasticity (ksi)
            > Red Oak ; 14,300 ; 1,800
            > Poplar, yellow ; 10,100 ; 1,580
            > Pine, Eastern White ; 8,600 ; 1,240
            > Ceder, Western Red ; 7,500 ; 1,110

            What about Tulip popular, which I understand to be the standard
            popular that us in the mid-Atlantic get.

            Siegfried

          • Ralph Lindberg
            Message 5 of 23 , May 5, 2005
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
              <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
              > Damn Calontiri!
              >
              > Halv

              I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this

              Ralg
              AnTir
              _
            • Avraham
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
                Avraham

                >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                > > Damn Calontiri!
                > >
                > > Halv
                > >
                > I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
                >
                >Ralg
                >AnTir
              • Trevor Payne
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                  LOL, thought that was you, but I wasn't sure ;)

                  Aiden

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                    >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
                    >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if you're
                    >reading off the web, let me know and I'll forward the picture to you.

                    For those people who read this group in digest mode, all attachments
                    are stripped off.

                    --
                    Steve Mercer
                    mercer@...
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                      --- Avraham <avraham@...> wrote:
                      > Um, make what?
                      > Avraham
                      > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                      see attachment...

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                        --- Joseph Paul <josephnjody@...> wrote:
                        > Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I
                        > have been thinking on the
                        > same subject but I have the luxury of planing my
                        > rough cut stock to size.
                        > With that capability in mind what would be a good
                        > thickness of poplar to do
                        > a faldstool in?

                        I was looking for something to do with the
                        scrap/off-fall shorts that I had collected
                        and had just finshed the two in white oak.
                        So the foldstol was near the top of my list
                        of things I'm thinking aboput right now. I've
                        got a few randon lenghts and widths that could
                        easlily be cut down to the 1 1/2" stock I used
                        for the whitew oak stools....

                        Unless someone has another idea....

                        So here's another question for the group.

                        What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                        too big to throw away, but not big enough
                        for most projects?

                        ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                        pattens.... )

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                      • Chuck Phillips
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                          But it is a rather small world, after all.  Particularly so when you have a subset like this.

                          Charles Joiner
                          Who can still remember most of "Song of the Shield Wall"...
                          Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
                          Avraham

                          >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                          ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                          > > Damn Calontiri!
                          > >
                          > > Halv
                          > >
                          >   I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
                          >
                          >Ralg
                          >AnTir

                        • ewdysar
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                            Actually Yahoo does strip the attachments. I only read these
                            messages on the Yahoo group site and there's no picture or brief
                            description of what you're talking about.

                            Now for this particular question, I probably don't care. If anyone
                            joined the group today or later and read the post on the board, they
                            would not ever have any idea of what is being discussed.

                            My guess is that you're trying to build an ark, the Noah's type, not
                            the covenant type. I think that poplar would be OK because it only
                            needs to hold up for a couple of months, but you're going to need
                            alot of lumber... ;)

                            Eric

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avraham <avraham@e...> wrote:
                            > Wolf,
                            > Ah - down *below* all the yahoo ad stuff. I've never been on a
                            list that
                            > wasn't set to strip attachments before, now I know. Thanks!
                            >

                            > >Avraham;
                            > >
                            > >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
                            > >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if
                            you're
                            > >reading off the web...
                            > > >
                            > > > Um, make what?
                            > > > Avraham
                            > > > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                          • Lord Alessandro dEste
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 10, 2005
                              <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                              > Unless someone has another idea....
                              > So here's another question for the group.
                              > What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                              > too big to throw away, but not big enough
                              > for most projects?
                              >
                              > ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                              > pattens.... )
                              > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                              Someone has another idea
                              And That someone is me. LOL
                              Everyweek here in sternfeld we have a meeting called"Stuff and
                              nonsence".Held at Master JP Devereaux and Mistress Baroness Priscilla
                              the Hun's home. We try to help others in the barony with what ever
                              projects they are working on. What I and Master Devereaux do with are
                              scraps is to bring them out and see if anyone needs them. But You now
                              have given me a idea . Thank you Baron Conal. One can only wear so
                              many pairs of pattens.But a barony can wear many. A group project that
                              we are working on this would be a great addition too.
                              IYS
                              Lord Alessandro dEste