RE: [MedievalSawdust] could you would you

  • Chuck Phillips
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2005
      Actually, you should be fine, strengthwise.  Poplar is commonly used for framing in upholstered furniture, where it doesn't get seen.  The problem you _will_ encounter is that it just doesn't look as nice.  You may well run into areas that have a greenish tint, and the relative softness of the wood makes it difficult to get a smooth finish.  I always wind up with a bit of fuzziness on the first pass.

      Charles Joiner
      Caid
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2005
        I agree with Charles Joiner...  the first one of these I made was from 1 x 2 pine strips...  is VERY light.  The legs flex a bit when somebody of my delicate size sits on it... but it was the first one I built... and m'Lady still uses it...  (3 legs each side... six seat boards...)

        Chas.

      • Trevor Payne
        Message 3 of 23 , May 5, 2005
          Is western Red Cedar softer and weaker than Poplar?

          Aiden
        • Avraham
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5, 2005
            Hey, Aiden, fancy seeing you here.
            Avraham

            >Is western Red Cedar softer and weaker than Poplar?
            >
            >Aiden
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Schuster, Robert L.
            Message 5 of 23 , May 5, 2005
              Damn Calontiri!

              Halv

              western Red Cedar softer and weaker than Poplar?

              >Aiden
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups
              Links

            • Joseph Paul
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I have been thinking on the same subject but I have the luxury of planing my rough cut stock to size.  With that capability in mind what would be a good thickness of poplar to do a faldstool in?

                Oh by the way: Hi everybody! I am new here and only so-so skilled with wood but very interested in medieval furniture and techniques.

                Jamie Blackrose

              • powell.sean@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                  Hello all,
                  This is my first post here and hopefully I won't offend the more medievally minded of you by being a geek on my first post.

                  From Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Chapter 6, Table 6.7.2 Strengths and related properties of Wood...

                  Wood ; Modulus of Rupture (lbs/in^2) ; Modulus of Elasticity (ksi)
                  Red Oak ; 14,300 ; 1,800
                  Poplar, yellow ; 10,100 ; 1,580
                  Pine, Eastern White ; 8,600 ; 1,240
                  Ceder, Western Red ; 7,500 ; 1,110

                  Therefore: if there are no extra legs or changes to structure and the boards are all equivilent in size we can expect the Poplar fauld stool to support 70% of the load caried by the red oak before similar failure and have 115% of the flex. Obviously the legs will flex farther, changing the moment arms, affecting the loading and throwing the math all to hell. Western red cedar would be about 55% of load.

                  To thicken the poplar for equivilent strength it is necessary to determine loading type, which is mostly bending and subject to the formula Stress = M*c/I where c = half the board thickness and I = width*height^3/12. A finished thickness of 7/8" is almost sufficient and a finished thickness of 1" is plenty.

                  Thanks for giving me an excuse to be an engineer. :)

                  Sean

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                    HEY Jamie...  welcome aboard -
                    Chas.

                    Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I have been thinking on the same subject but I have the luxury of planing my rough cut stock to size.  With that capability in mind what would be a good thickness of poplar to do a faldstool in?

                    Oh by the way: Hi everybody! I am new here and only so-so skilled with wood but very interested in medieval furniture and techniques.

                    Jamie Blackrose
                  • Siegfried
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                      > Wood ; Modulus of Rupture (lbs/in^2) ; Modulus of Elasticity (ksi)
                      > Red Oak ; 14,300 ; 1,800
                      > Poplar, yellow ; 10,100 ; 1,580
                      > Pine, Eastern White ; 8,600 ; 1,240
                      > Ceder, Western Red ; 7,500 ; 1,110

                      What about Tulip popular, which I understand to be the standard
                      popular that us in the mid-Atlantic get.

                      Siegfried

                    • Ralph Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                        <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                        > Damn Calontiri!
                        >
                        > Halv

                        I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this

                        Ralg
                        AnTir
                        _
                      • Avraham
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                          Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
                          Avraham

                          >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                          ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                          > > Damn Calontiri!
                          > >
                          > > Halv
                          > >
                          > I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
                          >
                          >Ralg
                          >AnTir
                        • Trevor Payne
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                            LOL, thought that was you, but I wasn't sure ;)

                            Aiden

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                              >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
                              >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if you're
                              >reading off the web, let me know and I'll forward the picture to you.

                              For those people who read this group in digest mode, all attachments
                              are stripped off.

                              --
                              Steve Mercer
                              mercer@...
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                                --- Avraham <avraham@...> wrote:
                                > Um, make what?
                                > Avraham
                                > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                                see attachment...

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                                  --- Joseph Paul <josephnjody@...> wrote:
                                  > Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I
                                  > have been thinking on the
                                  > same subject but I have the luxury of planing my
                                  > rough cut stock to size.
                                  > With that capability in mind what would be a good
                                  > thickness of poplar to do
                                  > a faldstool in?

                                  I was looking for something to do with the
                                  scrap/off-fall shorts that I had collected
                                  and had just finshed the two in white oak.
                                  So the foldstol was near the top of my list
                                  of things I'm thinking aboput right now. I've
                                  got a few randon lenghts and widths that could
                                  easlily be cut down to the 1 1/2" stock I used
                                  for the whitew oak stools....

                                  Unless someone has another idea....

                                  So here's another question for the group.

                                  What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                                  too big to throw away, but not big enough
                                  for most projects?

                                  ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                                  pattens.... )

                                  __________________________________
                                  Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                                • Chuck Phillips
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                                    But it is a rather small world, after all.  Particularly so when you have a subset like this.

                                    Charles Joiner
                                    Who can still remember most of "Song of the Shield Wall"...
                                    Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
                                    Avraham

                                    >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                                    ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                                    > > Damn Calontiri!
                                    > >
                                    > > Halv
                                    > >
                                    >   I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
                                    >
                                    >Ralg
                                    >AnTir

                                  • ewdysar
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                                      Actually Yahoo does strip the attachments. I only read these
                                      messages on the Yahoo group site and there's no picture or brief
                                      description of what you're talking about.

                                      Now for this particular question, I probably don't care. If anyone
                                      joined the group today or later and read the post on the board, they
                                      would not ever have any idea of what is being discussed.

                                      My guess is that you're trying to build an ark, the Noah's type, not
                                      the covenant type. I think that poplar would be OK because it only
                                      needs to hold up for a couple of months, but you're going to need
                                      alot of lumber... ;)

                                      Eric

                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avraham <avraham@e...> wrote:
                                      > Wolf,
                                      > Ah - down *below* all the yahoo ad stuff. I've never been on a
                                      list that
                                      > wasn't set to strip attachments before, now I know. Thanks!
                                      >

                                      > >Avraham;
                                      > >
                                      > >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
                                      > >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if
                                      you're
                                      > >reading off the web...
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Um, make what?
                                      > > > Avraham
                                      > > > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                                    • Lord Alessandro dEste
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 10, 2005
                                        <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                                        > Unless someone has another idea....
                                        > So here's another question for the group.
                                        > What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                                        > too big to throw away, but not big enough
                                        > for most projects?
                                        >
                                        > ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                                        > pattens.... )
                                        > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                                        Someone has another idea
                                        And That someone is me. LOL
                                        Everyweek here in sternfeld we have a meeting called"Stuff and
                                        nonsence".Held at Master JP Devereaux and Mistress Baroness Priscilla
                                        the Hun's home. We try to help others in the barony with what ever
                                        projects they are working on. What I and Master Devereaux do with are
                                        scraps is to bring them out and see if anyone needs them. But You now
                                        have given me a idea . Thank you Baron Conal. One can only wear so
                                        many pairs of pattens.But a barony can wear many. A group project that
                                        we are working on this would be a great addition too.
                                        IYS
                                        Lord Alessandro dEste