Re: [MedievalSawdust] could you would you

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 23 , May 4, 2005
      I always thought poplar was one of the softer hardwoods, but you should
      be OK. If I remember my American furniture history, it doesn't take a
      stain well and was often painted.

      My first fauldstuhl is made of 1x2 pine (sold as trim) and is sitting
      in my bathroom. I went 11 pieces deep so there's more "legs" to carry
      the weight.

      Ulrich

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Chuck Phillips
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2005
        Actually, you should be fine, strengthwise.  Poplar is commonly used for framing in upholstered furniture, where it doesn't get seen.  The problem you _will_ encounter is that it just doesn't look as nice.  You may well run into areas that have a greenish tint, and the relative softness of the wood makes it difficult to get a smooth finish.  I always wind up with a bit of fuzziness on the first pass.

        Charles Joiner
        Caid
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2005
          I agree with Charles Joiner...  the first one of these I made was from 1 x 2 pine strips...  is VERY light.  The legs flex a bit when somebody of my delicate size sits on it... but it was the first one I built... and m'Lady still uses it...  (3 legs each side... six seat boards...)

          Chas.

        • Trevor Payne
          Message 4 of 23 , May 5, 2005
            Is western Red Cedar softer and weaker than Poplar?

            Aiden
          • Avraham
            Message 5 of 23 , May 5, 2005
              Hey, Aiden, fancy seeing you here.
              Avraham

              >Is western Red Cedar softer and weaker than Poplar?
              >
              >Aiden
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Schuster, Robert L.
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                Damn Calontiri!

                Halv

                western Red Cedar softer and weaker than Poplar?

                >Aiden
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups
                Links

              • Joseph Paul
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                  Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I have been thinking on the same subject but I have the luxury of planing my rough cut stock to size.  With that capability in mind what would be a good thickness of poplar to do a faldstool in?

                  Oh by the way: Hi everybody! I am new here and only so-so skilled with wood but very interested in medieval furniture and techniques.

                  Jamie Blackrose

                • powell.sean@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                    Hello all,
                    This is my first post here and hopefully I won't offend the more medievally minded of you by being a geek on my first post.

                    From Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Chapter 6, Table 6.7.2 Strengths and related properties of Wood...

                    Wood ; Modulus of Rupture (lbs/in^2) ; Modulus of Elasticity (ksi)
                    Red Oak ; 14,300 ; 1,800
                    Poplar, yellow ; 10,100 ; 1,580
                    Pine, Eastern White ; 8,600 ; 1,240
                    Ceder, Western Red ; 7,500 ; 1,110

                    Therefore: if there are no extra legs or changes to structure and the boards are all equivilent in size we can expect the Poplar fauld stool to support 70% of the load caried by the red oak before similar failure and have 115% of the flex. Obviously the legs will flex farther, changing the moment arms, affecting the loading and throwing the math all to hell. Western red cedar would be about 55% of load.

                    To thicken the poplar for equivilent strength it is necessary to determine loading type, which is mostly bending and subject to the formula Stress = M*c/I where c = half the board thickness and I = width*height^3/12. A finished thickness of 7/8" is almost sufficient and a finished thickness of 1" is plenty.

                    Thanks for giving me an excuse to be an engineer. :)

                    Sean

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                      HEY Jamie...  welcome aboard -
                      Chas.

                      Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I have been thinking on the same subject but I have the luxury of planing my rough cut stock to size.  With that capability in mind what would be a good thickness of poplar to do a faldstool in?

                      Oh by the way: Hi everybody! I am new here and only so-so skilled with wood but very interested in medieval furniture and techniques.

                      Jamie Blackrose
                    • Siegfried
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                        > Wood ; Modulus of Rupture (lbs/in^2) ; Modulus of Elasticity (ksi)
                        > Red Oak ; 14,300 ; 1,800
                        > Poplar, yellow ; 10,100 ; 1,580
                        > Pine, Eastern White ; 8,600 ; 1,240
                        > Ceder, Western Red ; 7,500 ; 1,110

                        What about Tulip popular, which I understand to be the standard
                        popular that us in the mid-Atlantic get.

                        Siegfried

                      • Ralph Lindberg
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                          <SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                          > Damn Calontiri!
                          >
                          > Halv

                          I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this

                          Ralg
                          AnTir
                          _
                        • Avraham
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                            Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
                            Avraham

                            >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                            ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                            > > Damn Calontiri!
                            > >
                            > > Halv
                            > >
                            > I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
                            >
                            >Ralg
                            >AnTir
                          • Trevor Payne
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                              LOL, thought that was you, but I wasn't sure ;)

                              Aiden

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                                >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
                                >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if you're
                                >reading off the web, let me know and I'll forward the picture to you.

                                For those people who read this group in digest mode, all attachments
                                are stripped off.

                                --
                                Steve Mercer
                                mercer@...
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                                  --- Avraham <avraham@...> wrote:
                                  > Um, make what?
                                  > Avraham
                                  > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                                  see attachment...

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                                    --- Joseph Paul <josephnjody@...> wrote:
                                    > Interesting that you want to try this in poplar. I
                                    > have been thinking on the
                                    > same subject but I have the luxury of planing my
                                    > rough cut stock to size.
                                    > With that capability in mind what would be a good
                                    > thickness of poplar to do
                                    > a faldstool in?

                                    I was looking for something to do with the
                                    scrap/off-fall shorts that I had collected
                                    and had just finshed the two in white oak.
                                    So the foldstol was near the top of my list
                                    of things I'm thinking aboput right now. I've
                                    got a few randon lenghts and widths that could
                                    easlily be cut down to the 1 1/2" stock I used
                                    for the whitew oak stools....

                                    Unless someone has another idea....

                                    So here's another question for the group.

                                    What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                                    too big to throw away, but not big enough
                                    for most projects?

                                    ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                                    pattens.... )

                                    __________________________________
                                    Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                                  • Chuck Phillips
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 5, 2005
                                      But it is a rather small world, after all.  Particularly so when you have a subset like this.

                                      Charles Joiner
                                      Who can still remember most of "Song of the Shield Wall"...
                                      Halvgrim just can't get away from me. :)
                                      Avraham

                                      >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Schuster, Robert L."
                                      ><SchusterRL@u...> wrote:
                                      > > Damn Calontiri!
                                      > >
                                      > > Halv
                                      > >
                                      >   I'm afraid it's my fault, I told him about this
                                      >
                                      >Ralg
                                      >AnTir

                                    • ewdysar
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 6, 2005
                                        Actually Yahoo does strip the attachments. I only read these
                                        messages on the Yahoo group site and there's no picture or brief
                                        description of what you're talking about.

                                        Now for this particular question, I probably don't care. If anyone
                                        joined the group today or later and read the post on the board, they
                                        would not ever have any idea of what is being discussed.

                                        My guess is that you're trying to build an ark, the Noah's type, not
                                        the covenant type. I think that poplar would be OK because it only
                                        needs to hold up for a couple of months, but you're going to need
                                        alot of lumber... ;)

                                        Eric

                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Avraham <avraham@e...> wrote:
                                        > Wolf,
                                        > Ah - down *below* all the yahoo ad stuff. I've never been on a
                                        list that
                                        > wasn't set to strip attachments before, now I know. Thanks!
                                        >

                                        > >Avraham;
                                        > >
                                        > >You "should" have gotten a picture attached - I didn't see it right
                                        > >away, but scrolling down showed it. If you didn't get it, or if
                                        you're
                                        > >reading off the web...
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Um, make what?
                                        > > > Avraham
                                        > > > new to the group, not so much to woodworking

                                      • Lord Alessandro dEste
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 10, 2005
                                          <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                                          > Unless someone has another idea....
                                          > So here's another question for the group.
                                          > What do you do with 'scraps' that are
                                          > too big to throw away, but not big enough
                                          > for most projects?
                                          >
                                          > ( one can only wear so many pairs of
                                          > pattens.... )
                                          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart

                                          Someone has another idea
                                          And That someone is me. LOL
                                          Everyweek here in sternfeld we have a meeting called"Stuff and
                                          nonsence".Held at Master JP Devereaux and Mistress Baroness Priscilla
                                          the Hun's home. We try to help others in the barony with what ever
                                          projects they are working on. What I and Master Devereaux do with are
                                          scraps is to bring them out and see if anyone needs them. But You now
                                          have given me a idea . Thank you Baron Conal. One can only wear so
                                          many pairs of pattens.But a barony can wear many. A group project that
                                          we are working on this would be a great addition too.
                                          IYS
                                          Lord Alessandro dEste