Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 723

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2005
      >Has anybody ever pondered who the crazy SOB was that
      >invented the saw?

      I've used his original model! I was involved in an
      experiment at the Cahokia Mounds site (Mississippian
      Culture - biggest city in the world at one point)
      where we were building a house using all authentic
      tools and recording times/task. I was making wattle
      which mostly means I was cleaning the branches as
      stuff off of sapplings.

      For what I was doing we found a jaw bone, I believe a
      deer or dog's was idealy suited to the task. And had
      a surprisingly comfortable handle.

      Avery