breadboard ends

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 22, 2005
      I haven't done specific research on
      breadboard ends, and was asked if
      it is a period practice for Europe
      anywhere and anytime in the 'SCA'
      period.

      Anyone know?

      I'm gonna bet they existed some time
      in our period in Europe...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 22, 2005
        --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
        > I haven't done specific research on
        > breadboard ends, and was asked if
        > it is a period practice for Europe
        > anywhere and anytime in the 'SCA'
        > period.
        > Anyone know?

        A few years ago, I looked through all the books I had and only found
        one example. Unfortunately it was a table top in the second "Building
        Medieval Furniture Book." Since so much of that series is crap and
        table tops may have been replaced post-period, I discounted it as
        documentation.

        Just thinking out loud here, but isn't the clamped-front joinery
        more-or-less breadboard ends?

        Ulrich

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 22, 2005
          Actually, I've found it to be fairly common. Lesseee . . .

          I don't have my references with me at work, but there are two items at the
          Cloisters (NYC Metropolitan Museum) that have breadboard ends. One is in
          the Boppard room and one is in the Campin room, I think.

          I know I also saw at least one item at Huntingon Antiques last week that had
          breadboard ends, and I think there was something from the Mary Rose.
          Naturally, I have no references with me at work.

          Here's one on the Huntington Antiques web site that they date as "late
          gothic" http://www.huntington-antiques.com/19014.htm with breadboard ends.

          I'll start digging when I get home and see what I can find.

          Master William McNaughton, CL
          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 22, 2005
            --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
            > Here's one on the Huntington Antiques web site that they date as
            > "lategothic" http://www.huntington-antiques.com/19014.htm with
            > breadboard ends.

            The description says, "probably-replaced three board top."

            Ulrich

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Joseph Hayes
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22, 2005
              I forgot to add to my last post that I think artwork will probably be
              better documentation than extant furniture due to the repair/replace
              issue.

              Ulrich

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 22, 2005
                Whoops. Sunuvagun.

                Bill McNutt
                IT Administrator, UT Center for Literacy Studies
                http://cls.coe.utk.edu

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 22, 2005
                  Indeed. Furniture can only be persuasive, not conclusive. It's very hard
                  for the eye to tell an original installation from an 18th century repair.

                  Master Will
                  http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood