Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: rebuilding the workshop

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
      Of the injuries I have seen on wood workers... the table saw and shaper(router mounted in a table) took parts off that never grew back!!

      James Cunningham
      Who has scarres and scares

      You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.
    • John LaTorre
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
        Sir Colin wrote:

        > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
        > of places:
        >
        > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
        > either inadequate, or missing, so...

        There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
        out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for pretty
        much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if I
        can track him down again.

        Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

      • Arthur Slaughter
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
          If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted having inherited
          several older tools lacking manuals.
          Finn

          >From: "John LaTorre" <jlatorre@...>
          >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
          >Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:38:19 -0700
          >
          >Sir Colin wrote:
          >
          > > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
          > > of places:
          > >
          > > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
          > > either inadequate, or missing, so...
          >
          >There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
          >out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for
          >pretty
          >much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if
          >can track him down again.
          >
          >Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

            > Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust
            > collection. There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over
            everything
            > any more; effective dust collection is cheap now. Less than $200
            gets you
            > a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good
            > enough to start with. I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust
            > collector, and use it! Don't buy any random-orbit sander without
            built-in
            > dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best),
            and
            > consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway. ROSs
            create a
            > lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the
            cancer
            > risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit
            > woodworking as a result. This is avoidable!

            Excellent advise. I have a small Delta two-stage, with a large hood.
            The hood goes next to the sanding station, or the lathe, or... and
            almost all that dust goes straight in.
            However, I find the table-saw doesn't collect as well, so I also
            have a whole-shop air-filter (Delta, but that's just cause it was on
            sale).
            Dust==bad

            TTFN
            Ralg
            AnTir
          • Ralph Lindberg
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
              I just recalled the following shop lay-out tool from the Grizzly
              web-site. It only has generic objects (benchs, etc) and Grizzly tools.
              But since most Grizzly tools have the same foot-print as most
              Delta/Jet/etc tools. It still works

              Enjoy
              http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
            • John LaTorre
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                Finn wrote:

                > If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted
                > having inherited
                > several older tools lacking manuals.

                Well, I can't find that information anymore, but here's a link that may
                help:

                http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

                --Johann
              • Arthur Slaughter
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                  My thanks for your efforts. I can definately use the site you posted.
                  Finn Mac Art

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                    Harken, hear, and heed.

                    If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.

                    But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                    have lost their way.

                    They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                    warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                    remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                    are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.

                    They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                    working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                    grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.

                    But I can quit any time I want.

                    Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                    manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                    You can also join the discussion list.

                    Just don't say I didn't warn you.

                    Master Will
                    http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                      Most Kind and Generous Master Will.
                      Thanks from teh bottom of my pillaging viking heart!
                      THL Finn Mac Art
                      In Service to the Griffon

                      >From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                      >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                      >Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:06 -0400
                      >
                      >Harken, hear, and heed.
                      >
                      >If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.
                      >
                      >But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                      >have lost their way.
                      >
                      >They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                      >warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                      >remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                      >are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.
                      >
                      >They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                      >working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                      >grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.
                      >
                      >But I can quit any time I want.
                      >
                      >Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                      >manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                      >You can also join the discussion list.
                      >
                      >Just don't say I didn't warn you.
                      >
                      >Master Will
                      >http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                    • paul
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 22, 2005
                        While I love old power tools, My newest toy is an old hand crank drill
                        press, I just need to find a post to mount it on. My blacksmiting buddy
                        from down the block keeps offering to let me put it up in her forge room
                        but somehow I just don't trust her.

                        Paul