Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: rebuilding the workshop

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
      Theresa, my message was actually directed toward Alasdair, who started this thread.  Sorry, I should have made that clear!

      You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number of places:

      1.  The owner's manual is the first place to look.  But often these are either inadequate, or missing, so...
      2.  There are any number of after-market books on table saws and routers.  Some of them are better than others.  Try looking through the Amazon reviews to see which are recommended.
      3.  Likewise there are quite a number of videos available now.
      4.  Ideally, you might be able to take a class or attend a workshop in your area.  Woodcraft stores, community colleges, and arts centers are good places to look.

      You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
        Of the injuries I have seen on wood workers... the table saw and shaper(router mounted in a table) took parts off that never grew back!!

        James Cunningham
        Who has scarres and scares

        You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.
      • John LaTorre
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
          Sir Colin wrote:

          > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
          > of places:
          >
          > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
          > either inadequate, or missing, so...

          There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
          out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for pretty
          much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if I
          can track him down again.

          Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

        • Arthur Slaughter
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
            If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted having inherited
            several older tools lacking manuals.
            Finn

            >From: "John LaTorre" <jlatorre@...>
            >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
            >Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:38:19 -0700
            >
            >Sir Colin wrote:
            >
            > > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
            > > of places:
            > >
            > > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
            > > either inadequate, or missing, so...
            >
            >There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
            >out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for
            >pretty
            >much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if
            >can track him down again.
            >
            >Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

          • Ralph Lindberg
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

              > Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust
              > collection. There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over
              everything
              > any more; effective dust collection is cheap now. Less than $200
              gets you
              > a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good
              > enough to start with. I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust
              > collector, and use it! Don't buy any random-orbit sander without
              built-in
              > dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best),
              and
              > consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway. ROSs
              create a
              > lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the
              cancer
              > risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit
              > woodworking as a result. This is avoidable!

              Excellent advise. I have a small Delta two-stage, with a large hood.
              The hood goes next to the sanding station, or the lathe, or... and
              almost all that dust goes straight in.
              However, I find the table-saw doesn't collect as well, so I also
              have a whole-shop air-filter (Delta, but that's just cause it was on
              sale).
              Dust==bad

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                I just recalled the following shop lay-out tool from the Grizzly
                web-site. It only has generic objects (benchs, etc) and Grizzly tools.
                But since most Grizzly tools have the same foot-print as most
                Delta/Jet/etc tools. It still works

                Enjoy
                http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

                TTFN
                Ralg
                AnTir
              • John LaTorre
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                  Finn wrote:

                  > If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted
                  > having inherited
                  > several older tools lacking manuals.

                  Well, I can't find that information anymore, but here's a link that may
                  help:

                  http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

                  --Johann
                • Arthur Slaughter
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                    My thanks for your efforts. I can definately use the site you posted.
                    Finn Mac Art

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                      Harken, hear, and heed.

                      If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.

                      But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                      have lost their way.

                      They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                      warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                      remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                      are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.

                      They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                      working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                      grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.

                      But I can quit any time I want.

                      Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                      manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                      You can also join the discussion list.

                      Just don't say I didn't warn you.

                      Master Will
                      http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                        Most Kind and Generous Master Will.
                        Thanks from teh bottom of my pillaging viking heart!
                        THL Finn Mac Art
                        In Service to the Griffon

                        >From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                        >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                        >Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:06 -0400
                        >
                        >Harken, hear, and heed.
                        >
                        >If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.
                        >
                        >But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                        >have lost their way.
                        >
                        >They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                        >warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                        >remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                        >are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.
                        >
                        >They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                        >working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                        >grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.
                        >
                        >But I can quit any time I want.
                        >
                        >Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                        >manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                        >You can also join the discussion list.
                        >
                        >Just don't say I didn't warn you.
                        >
                        >Master Will
                        >http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                      • paul
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 22, 2005
                          While I love old power tools, My newest toy is an old hand crank drill
                          press, I just need to find a post to mount it on. My blacksmiting buddy
                          from down the block keeps offering to let me put it up in her forge room
                          but somehow I just don't trust her.

                          Paul