Re: [MedievalSawdust] rebuilding the workshop

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
      Following up on what Conal said - a really good way to approach this is to start with the first project on your list, or the first three, or whatever; figure out what tools you need for those specific projects, and buy them.  Build the projects.  Then go on to the next project.  Buy tools as you need them, rather than buying tools and then figuring out what to do with them.

      The first thing you will need is a bench; the most essential tool in the shop.

      I would urge you to consider starting with hand tools and adding power tools only as needed to speed up certain tasks.   If this is a hobby, you may find you do not need the power tools after all, and you won't miss the howling racket or the unhealthy dust.   Hand saws, planes, chisels, a brace and spoon bits, some clamps, and you are ready to start building medieval furniture.  Hand planing is a hell of a lot more fun than using a power jointer and planer, and for one-off projects it is probably no slower once you get the hang of it.

      Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust collection.  There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over everything any more; effective dust collection is cheap now.  Less than $200 gets you a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good enough to start with.  I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust collector, and use it!   Don't buy any random-orbit sander without built-in dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best), and consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway.  ROSs create a lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the cancer risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit woodworking as a result.  This is avoidable!

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories
      For the Medievalist!
    • toomuch87505
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
        I did buy these tools with specific projects in mind. However, when
        I set them up in my workshop, I couldn't figure out how to put in a
        blade or how to guide a router. They are sitting there as are the
        projects I wanted to make as well.

        I would rather have them sit there until I am able to safely use
        them, then to try to figure them out and lose a finger or an eye.

        I do use my jig saw, drill and sander regularly and have made
        several break down chairs, tables and chests. All I really need is
        some instructions on the rest of the tools and I should be ok.

        Theresa

      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
          Theresa, my message was actually directed toward Alasdair, who started this thread.  Sorry, I should have made that clear!

          You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number of places:

          1.  The owner's manual is the first place to look.  But often these are either inadequate, or missing, so...
          2.  There are any number of after-market books on table saws and routers.  Some of them are better than others.  Try looking through the Amazon reviews to see which are recommended.
          3.  Likewise there are quite a number of videos available now.
          4.  Ideally, you might be able to take a class or attend a workshop in your area.  Woodcraft stores, community colleges, and arts centers are good places to look.

          You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
            Of the injuries I have seen on wood workers... the table saw and shaper(router mounted in a table) took parts off that never grew back!!

            James Cunningham
            Who has scarres and scares

            You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.
          • John LaTorre
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
              Sir Colin wrote:

              > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
              > of places:
              >
              > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
              > either inadequate, or missing, so...

              There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
              out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for pretty
              much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if I
              can track him down again.

              Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

            • Arthur Slaughter
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted having inherited
                several older tools lacking manuals.
                Finn

                >From: "John LaTorre" <jlatorre@...>
                >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                >Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:38:19 -0700
                >
                >Sir Colin wrote:
                >
                > > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
                > > of places:
                > >
                > > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
                > > either inadequate, or missing, so...
                >
                >There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
                >out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for
                >pretty
                >much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if
                >can track him down again.
                >
                >Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

              • Ralph Lindberg
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

                  > Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust
                  > collection. There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over
                  everything
                  > any more; effective dust collection is cheap now. Less than $200
                  gets you
                  > a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good
                  > enough to start with. I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust
                  > collector, and use it! Don't buy any random-orbit sander without
                  built-in
                  > dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best),
                  and
                  > consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway. ROSs
                  create a
                  > lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the
                  cancer
                  > risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit
                  > woodworking as a result. This is avoidable!

                  Excellent advise. I have a small Delta two-stage, with a large hood.
                  The hood goes next to the sanding station, or the lathe, or... and
                  almost all that dust goes straight in.
                  However, I find the table-saw doesn't collect as well, so I also
                  have a whole-shop air-filter (Delta, but that's just cause it was on
                  sale).
                  Dust==bad

                  TTFN
                  Ralg
                  AnTir
                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                    I just recalled the following shop lay-out tool from the Grizzly
                    web-site. It only has generic objects (benchs, etc) and Grizzly tools.
                    But since most Grizzly tools have the same foot-print as most
                    Delta/Jet/etc tools. It still works

                    Enjoy
                    http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

                    TTFN
                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • John LaTorre
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                      Finn wrote:

                      > If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted
                      > having inherited
                      > several older tools lacking manuals.

                      Well, I can't find that information anymore, but here's a link that may
                      help:

                      http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

                      --Johann
                    • Arthur Slaughter
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                        My thanks for your efforts. I can definately use the site you posted.
                        Finn Mac Art

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                          Harken, hear, and heed.

                          If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.

                          But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                          have lost their way.

                          They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                          warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                          remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                          are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.

                          They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                          working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                          grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.

                          But I can quit any time I want.

                          Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                          manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                          You can also join the discussion list.

                          Just don't say I didn't warn you.

                          Master Will
                          http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                            Most Kind and Generous Master Will.
                            Thanks from teh bottom of my pillaging viking heart!
                            THL Finn Mac Art
                            In Service to the Griffon

                            >From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                            >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                            >Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:06 -0400
                            >
                            >Harken, hear, and heed.
                            >
                            >If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.
                            >
                            >But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                            >have lost their way.
                            >
                            >They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                            >warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                            >remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                            >are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.
                            >
                            >They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                            >working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                            >grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.
                            >
                            >But I can quit any time I want.
                            >
                            >Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                            >manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                            >You can also join the discussion list.
                            >
                            >Just don't say I didn't warn you.
                            >
                            >Master Will
                            >http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                          • paul
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 22, 2005
                              While I love old power tools, My newest toy is an old hand crank drill
                              press, I just need to find a post to mount it on. My blacksmiting buddy
                              from down the block keeps offering to let me put it up in her forge room
                              but somehow I just don't trust her.

                              Paul