Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: rebuilding the workshop

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
      --- toomuch87505 <too_be_free@...> wrote:

      The rest of the
      > tools will have to
      > sit there until I take a woodworking class and find
      > out how to use
      > them.
      >
      > Theresa>

      Don't waste money buying tools you
      don't know how to use, unless you
      have a specific plan for learning
      or a specific use for them that some
      other tool you already have cannot do.

      But expand your tools and learn your skills
      at the same time....It's the 'waste'
      part that is important to stay in control of.

      ( who advised you to get the
      'all in one' cutting tool?...
      just curious... )

      You end up with enough tools that
      you thought would be useful at the
      time without effort anyway.

      There is a magazine called Woodsmith
      ( I think ) that has a series of projects,
      each a little bigger than the previous one,
      than build on the techniques from the previous
      project. While I don't always like the
      projects they pick, I like the way that
      they group them together.

    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
        Following up on what Conal said - a really good way to approach this is to start with the first project on your list, or the first three, or whatever; figure out what tools you need for those specific projects, and buy them.  Build the projects.  Then go on to the next project.  Buy tools as you need them, rather than buying tools and then figuring out what to do with them.

        The first thing you will need is a bench; the most essential tool in the shop.

        I would urge you to consider starting with hand tools and adding power tools only as needed to speed up certain tasks.   If this is a hobby, you may find you do not need the power tools after all, and you won't miss the howling racket or the unhealthy dust.   Hand saws, planes, chisels, a brace and spoon bits, some clamps, and you are ready to start building medieval furniture.  Hand planing is a hell of a lot more fun than using a power jointer and planer, and for one-off projects it is probably no slower once you get the hang of it.

        Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust collection.  There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over everything any more; effective dust collection is cheap now.  Less than $200 gets you a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good enough to start with.  I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust collector, and use it!   Don't buy any random-orbit sander without built-in dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best), and consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway.  ROSs create a lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the cancer risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit woodworking as a result.  This is avoidable!

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
      • toomuch87505
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
          I did buy these tools with specific projects in mind. However, when
          I set them up in my workshop, I couldn't figure out how to put in a
          blade or how to guide a router. They are sitting there as are the
          projects I wanted to make as well.

          I would rather have them sit there until I am able to safely use
          them, then to try to figure them out and lose a finger or an eye.

          I do use my jig saw, drill and sander regularly and have made
          several break down chairs, tables and chests. All I really need is
          some instructions on the rest of the tools and I should be ok.

          Theresa

        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
            Theresa, my message was actually directed toward Alasdair, who started this thread.  Sorry, I should have made that clear!

            You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number of places:

            1.  The owner's manual is the first place to look.  But often these are either inadequate, or missing, so...
            2.  There are any number of after-market books on table saws and routers.  Some of them are better than others.  Try looking through the Amazon reviews to see which are recommended.
            3.  Likewise there are quite a number of videos available now.
            4.  Ideally, you might be able to take a class or attend a workshop in your area.  Woodcraft stores, community colleges, and arts centers are good places to look.

            You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
              Of the injuries I have seen on wood workers... the table saw and shaper(router mounted in a table) took parts off that never grew back!!

              James Cunningham
              Who has scarres and scares

              You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.
            • John LaTorre
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                Sir Colin wrote:

                > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
                > of places:
                >
                > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
                > either inadequate, or missing, so...

                There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
                out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for pretty
                much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if I
                can track him down again.

                Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

              • Arthur Slaughter
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                  If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted having inherited
                  several older tools lacking manuals.
                  Finn

                  >From: "John LaTorre" <jlatorre@...>
                  >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                  >Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:38:19 -0700
                  >
                  >Sir Colin wrote:
                  >
                  > > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
                  > > of places:
                  > >
                  > > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
                  > > either inadequate, or missing, so...
                  >
                  >There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
                  >out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for
                  >pretty
                  >much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if
                  >can track him down again.
                  >
                  >Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

                    > Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust
                    > collection. There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over
                    everything
                    > any more; effective dust collection is cheap now. Less than $200
                    gets you
                    > a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good
                    > enough to start with. I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust
                    > collector, and use it! Don't buy any random-orbit sander without
                    built-in
                    > dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best),
                    and
                    > consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway. ROSs
                    create a
                    > lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the
                    cancer
                    > risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit
                    > woodworking as a result. This is avoidable!

                    Excellent advise. I have a small Delta two-stage, with a large hood.
                    The hood goes next to the sanding station, or the lathe, or... and
                    almost all that dust goes straight in.
                    However, I find the table-saw doesn't collect as well, so I also
                    have a whole-shop air-filter (Delta, but that's just cause it was on
                    sale).
                    Dust==bad

                    TTFN
                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • Ralph Lindberg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                      I just recalled the following shop lay-out tool from the Grizzly
                      web-site. It only has generic objects (benchs, etc) and Grizzly tools.
                      But since most Grizzly tools have the same foot-print as most
                      Delta/Jet/etc tools. It still works

                      Enjoy
                      http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

                      TTFN
                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                    • John LaTorre
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                        Finn wrote:

                        > If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted
                        > having inherited
                        > several older tools lacking manuals.

                        Well, I can't find that information anymore, but here's a link that may
                        help:

                        http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

                        --Johann
                      • Arthur Slaughter
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                          My thanks for your efforts. I can definately use the site you posted.
                          Finn Mac Art

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                            Harken, hear, and heed.

                            If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.

                            But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                            have lost their way.

                            They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                            warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                            remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                            are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.

                            They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                            working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                            grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.

                            But I can quit any time I want.

                            Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                            manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                            You can also join the discussion list.

                            Just don't say I didn't warn you.

                            Master Will
                            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                              Most Kind and Generous Master Will.
                              Thanks from teh bottom of my pillaging viking heart!
                              THL Finn Mac Art
                              In Service to the Griffon

                              >From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                              >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                              >Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:06 -0400
                              >
                              >Harken, hear, and heed.
                              >
                              >If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.
                              >
                              >But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                              >have lost their way.
                              >
                              >They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                              >warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                              >remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                              >are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.
                              >
                              >They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                              >working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                              >grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.
                              >
                              >But I can quit any time I want.
                              >
                              >Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                              >manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                              >You can also join the discussion list.
                              >
                              >Just don't say I didn't warn you.
                              >
                              >Master Will
                              >http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                            • paul
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 22, 2005
                                While I love old power tools, My newest toy is an old hand crank drill
                                press, I just need to find a post to mount it on. My blacksmiting buddy
                                from down the block keeps offering to let me put it up in her forge room
                                but somehow I just don't trust her.

                                Paul