Re: rebuilding the workshop

  • toomuch87505
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
      Not that being a girl has anything to do with having a workshop,
      BUT, when I started purchasing tools for woodworking, I went out and
      bought everything I thought I needed. I do have a very nice table
      saw, grinder, router and router table, two circular saws and
      something called a all-in-one cutting tool that I have not used yet
      due to lack of knowledge.

      I am able to do just about anything I need to do with a jig saw,
      reversible drill, palm sander a dremel, assorted hand tools, saw,
      hammer, chisel set and clamps. The rest of the tools will have to
      sit there until I take a woodworking class and find out how to use
      them.

      Theresa

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Talmoor" <talmoor@y...>
      wrote:

      > I am looking at re stocking my tools. for a few reasons all of my
      tools
      > are gone and I am working from scratch. What have you all found
      usefull
      > or essential in the shop? I am looking at hobby and around the
      house
      > projects. Gear for my encampment and personal enjoyment. My
      current
      > list is an entry level table saw, a 12" drill press with mortise
      > attachemnt, a plunge router, a hand held jigsaw, a palm sander,
      and an
      > assortment of clamps, bits, and blades. Any suggestions or
      thoughts?

      > Alasdair
    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dan Baker <LordRhys@g...> wrote:
        > am happy with it. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Grizzly,
        > some day I'll have to buy one.

        I have a lot of faith in the quality per dollar in Griz. Next is
        probably a large Grizzly lathe

        Ralg
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
          --- toomuch87505 <too_be_free@...> wrote:

          The rest of the
          > tools will have to
          > sit there until I take a woodworking class and find
          > out how to use
          > them.
          >
          > Theresa>

          Don't waste money buying tools you
          don't know how to use, unless you
          have a specific plan for learning
          or a specific use for them that some
          other tool you already have cannot do.

          But expand your tools and learn your skills
          at the same time....It's the 'waste'
          part that is important to stay in control of.

          ( who advised you to get the
          'all in one' cutting tool?...
          just curious... )

          You end up with enough tools that
          you thought would be useful at the
          time without effort anyway.

          There is a magazine called Woodsmith
          ( I think ) that has a series of projects,
          each a little bigger than the previous one,
          than build on the techniques from the previous
          project. While I don't always like the
          projects they pick, I like the way that
          they group them together.

        • Tim Bray
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
            Following up on what Conal said - a really good way to approach this is to start with the first project on your list, or the first three, or whatever; figure out what tools you need for those specific projects, and buy them.  Build the projects.  Then go on to the next project.  Buy tools as you need them, rather than buying tools and then figuring out what to do with them.

            The first thing you will need is a bench; the most essential tool in the shop.

            I would urge you to consider starting with hand tools and adding power tools only as needed to speed up certain tasks.   If this is a hobby, you may find you do not need the power tools after all, and you won't miss the howling racket or the unhealthy dust.   Hand saws, planes, chisels, a brace and spoon bits, some clamps, and you are ready to start building medieval furniture.  Hand planing is a hell of a lot more fun than using a power jointer and planer, and for one-off projects it is probably no slower once you get the hang of it.

            Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust collection.  There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over everything any more; effective dust collection is cheap now.  Less than $200 gets you a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good enough to start with.  I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust collector, and use it!   Don't buy any random-orbit sander without built-in dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best), and consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway.  ROSs create a lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the cancer risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit woodworking as a result.  This is avoidable!

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Albion Works
            Furniture and Accessories
            For the Medievalist!
          • toomuch87505
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
              I did buy these tools with specific projects in mind. However, when
              I set them up in my workshop, I couldn't figure out how to put in a
              blade or how to guide a router. They are sitting there as are the
              projects I wanted to make as well.

              I would rather have them sit there until I am able to safely use
              them, then to try to figure them out and lose a finger or an eye.

              I do use my jig saw, drill and sander regularly and have made
              several break down chairs, tables and chests. All I really need is
              some instructions on the rest of the tools and I should be ok.

              Theresa

            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                Theresa, my message was actually directed toward Alasdair, who started this thread.  Sorry, I should have made that clear!

                You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number of places:

                1.  The owner's manual is the first place to look.  But often these are either inadequate, or missing, so...
                2.  There are any number of after-market books on table saws and routers.  Some of them are better than others.  Try looking through the Amazon reviews to see which are recommended.
                3.  Likewise there are quite a number of videos available now.
                4.  Ideally, you might be able to take a class or attend a workshop in your area.  Woodcraft stores, community colleges, and arts centers are good places to look.

                You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.

                Cheers,
                Colin

                Albion Works
                Furniture and Accessories
                For the Medievalist!
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                  Of the injuries I have seen on wood workers... the table saw and shaper(router mounted in a table) took parts off that never grew back!!

                  James Cunningham
                  Who has scarres and scares

                  You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.
                • John LaTorre
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                    Sir Colin wrote:

                    > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
                    > of places:
                    >
                    > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
                    > either inadequate, or missing, so...

                    There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
                    out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for pretty
                    much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if I
                    can track him down again.

                    Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

                  • Arthur Slaughter
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                      If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted having inherited
                      several older tools lacking manuals.
                      Finn

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

                        > Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust
                        > collection. There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over
                        everything
                        > any more; effective dust collection is cheap now. Less than $200
                        gets you
                        > a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good
                        > enough to start with. I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust
                        > collector, and use it! Don't buy any random-orbit sander without
                        built-in
                        > dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best),
                        and
                        > consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway. ROSs
                        create a
                        > lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the
                        cancer
                        > risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit
                        > woodworking as a result. This is avoidable!

                        Excellent advise. I have a small Delta two-stage, with a large hood.
                        The hood goes next to the sanding station, or the lathe, or... and
                        almost all that dust goes straight in.
                        However, I find the table-saw doesn't collect as well, so I also
                        have a whole-shop air-filter (Delta, but that's just cause it was on
                        sale).
                        Dust==bad

                        TTFN
                        Ralg
                        AnTir
                      • Ralph Lindberg
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                          I just recalled the following shop lay-out tool from the Grizzly
                          web-site. It only has generic objects (benchs, etc) and Grizzly tools.
                          But since most Grizzly tools have the same foot-print as most
                          Delta/Jet/etc tools. It still works

                          Enjoy
                          http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

                          TTFN
                          Ralg
                          AnTir
                        • John LaTorre
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                            Finn wrote:

                            > If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted
                            > having inherited
                            > several older tools lacking manuals.

                            Well, I can't find that information anymore, but here's a link that may
                            help:

                            http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

                            --Johann
                          • Arthur Slaughter
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                              My thanks for your efforts. I can definately use the site you posted.
                              Finn Mac Art

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                                Harken, hear, and heed.

                                If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.

                                But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                                have lost their way.

                                They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                                warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                                remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                                are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.

                                They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                                working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                                grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.

                                But I can quit any time I want.

                                Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                                manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                                You can also join the discussion list.

                                Just don't say I didn't warn you.

                                Master Will
                                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                                  Most Kind and Generous Master Will.
                                  Thanks from teh bottom of my pillaging viking heart!
                                  THL Finn Mac Art
                                  In Service to the Griffon

                                  >From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                                  >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                                  >Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:06 -0400
                                  >
                                  >Harken, hear, and heed.
                                  >
                                  >If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.
                                  >
                                  >But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                                  >have lost their way.
                                  >
                                  >They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                                  >warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                                  >remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                                  >are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.
                                  >
                                  >They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                                  >working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                                  >grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.
                                  >
                                  >But I can quit any time I want.
                                  >
                                  >Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                                  >manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                                  >You can also join the discussion list.
                                  >
                                  >Just don't say I didn't warn you.
                                  >
                                  >Master Will
                                  >http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                • paul
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 22, 2005
                                    While I love old power tools, My newest toy is an old hand crank drill
                                    press, I just need to find a post to mount it on. My blacksmiting buddy
                                    from down the block keeps offering to let me put it up in her forge room
                                    but somehow I just don't trust her.

                                    Paul