RE: [MedievalSawdust] rebuilding the workshop

  • jim
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 7, 2005
      Hi,
      I would make sure that any tablesaw you get
      be able to use a stacked dado set. The Delta
      Unisaw tablesaw is my personal favorite. I
      prefer using an orbital disk sander to a palm
      sander, and an air powered one is even better.
      Router tables are nice, or make your own as your
      first shop project. Also good are band saw
      and a belt sander.

      smithur/jim

      reasons all
      > of my tools
      > are gone and I am working from scratch. What have
      you all
      > found usefull
      > or essential in the shop? I am looking at hobby
      and around the house
      > projects. Gear for my encampment and personal
      enjoyment. My current
      > list is an entry level table saw, a 12" drill
      press with mortise
      > attachemnt, a plunge router, a hand held jigsaw, a
      palm
      > sander, and an
      > assortment of clamps, bits, and blades. Any
      suggestions or thoughts?

      > Alasdair

      > --------------------~-->
      > What would our lives be like without music, dance,
      and theater?
      > Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network
      for Good!

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/Lmiol
      B/TM

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 7, 2005
        3/8 reversable drill for drilling and screws, belt sander(for belt sander
        theory of wood working) and a band saw for cutting every thing from bones to
        brass.

        James Cunningham

        > I am looking at re stocking my tools. for a few reasons all of my tools
        > are gone and I am working from scratch. What have you all found usefull
        > or essential in the shop? I am looking at hobby and around the house
        > projects. Gear for my encampment and personal enjoyment. My current
        > list is an entry level table saw, a 12" drill press with mortise
        > attachemnt, a plunge router, a hand held jigsaw, a palm sander, and an
        > assortment of clamps, bits, and blades. Any suggestions or thoughts?
        >
        > Alasdair
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ralph Lindberg
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
          That's a big question.

          Obviously you are asking about power tools.

          Some thoughts. I modified my Grizzly TS so that the wings are also
          router tables (both wings). That gives me a LARGE router table and I
          can have both routers rigger for different tasks.

          Don't get the Ryobi AP10 planner, I did and dumped it. I now have the
          Dewalt 12inch. Which brings up Vimes Law (again), buy the best tools
          you can afford to. Every time I have not followed that law, I have
          regreted it (and usually dumped the junk).

          If you have the room, consider the Jet or Delta Midi-Lathe. They are
          large enough to turn almost any SCA project, from mugs to 8 inch
          bowls. I talked my lady-wife into getting me one for Christmas last
          year, worst mistake I ever made. The extras (tools, centers,
          face-plates) have cost me more then she spent on the lathe.

          Oh ya, routers, 1/2 routers are not that much more then 1/4 inch. Buy
          1/2 each. I have two, a pluge and a fixed.

          Don't forget the handtools: a couple good planes, an inside and
          outside draw knife (nice for planning swords), good chisels, the list
          goes on and on

          That should keep your broke for, well, years.

          Ralg
          AnTir
        • Avery Austringer
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
            Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
            times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
            circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I used
            a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
            too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
            package with a higher end fence.

            If you anticipate having more money to spend later,
            consider this: I saw a guy do some great work with a
            circular saw bolted to a piece of plywood and a table
            frame from salvaged scraps. His fence was a piece of
            wood on a double arm that he locked in place with a
            pair of quick clamps. I've heard tell of guys doing
            height adjustments on this kind of rig by mounting the
            saw on a piece of plywood that is attached to the
            tabke by a hinge and a single bolt (the bolt doubles
            as the adjustment point).

            Other thought - if a high end plane is on your list,
            look at e-bay in the collectables section. A common
            antique stanley plane is probably better than most of
            what's out there today.

            Also, get what you need to keep what you buy sharp!
            (See other posts by me on this subject.)

            Avery
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
              --- Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:
              > Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
              > times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
              > circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I
              > used
              > a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
              > too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
              > package with a higher end fence.

              Stay far away from delta's 'entry' level
              saws....

              they are best used as landfill...

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Messenger
            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                As far as a jointer, Hawk Woodworking makes a "Jointability" which
                will do most of the work for very little money. $349 for the 8 foot
                model. Joints with a router. I am thinking about buying one.

                Even cheaper, I have an 8 foot long sled with a straight edge for my
                table saw for jointing a straight edge on rough lumber. Works just
                fine, cost? some scrap wood and a couple of hold downs, about $15
                bucks. I haven't used the jointer in a long long time, the sled does
                a better job one straightening cuts due to its length. But it can't
                do the final clean up cuts that a jointer can do.

                Table saw, buy top of the line (within the limits of your budget). It
                is cheaper to buy the higher quality one then to buy the cheap one and
                not be happy with it. This is true of most tools. I have a Jet and I
                am happy with it. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Grizzly,
                some day I'll have to buy one.

                My Ryobi AP12 is a decent, not great planer, but I don't think they
                make the AP10 or AP12 anymore. I have only had to replace a belt once
                in 5 years for maintainence a (and a few blades). That was because I
                screwed up, not the machine. but, for quality If I had the money I
                would get a spiral blade planer or one of the new carbide cutter
                planers. The carbide ones have dozens of small 4 sided cutters and
                when they get dull, you rotate them, you only replace them after using
                all 4 sides.

                -Rhys

                On Apr 8, 2005 5:28 PM, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

                > --- Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:
                > > Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
                > > times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
                > > circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I
                > > used
                > > a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
                > > too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
                > > package with a higher end fence.
                > >

                > Stay far away from delta's 'entry' level
                > saws....
                >
                > they are best used as landfill...
                >
                > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                >
                > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                -Rhys
              • Arthur Slaughter
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                  Our landfill won't take em
                  Finn

                  >From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
                  >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                  >Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:28:10 -0700 (PDT)
                  >

                  >--- Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:
                  > > Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
                  > > times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
                  > > circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I
                  > > used
                  > > a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
                  > > too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
                  > > package with a higher end fence.
                  > >

                  >Stay far away from delta's 'entry' level
                  >saws....
                  >
                  > they are best used as landfill...
                  >

                  >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  >
                  > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                  > ' Dare Something Worthy '
                  >

                  >__________________________________
                  >Yahoo! Messenger
                  >Show us what our next emoticon should look like. Join the fun.
                  >http://www.advision.webevents.yahoo.com/emoticontest

                • toomuch87505
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                    Not that being a girl has anything to do with having a workshop,
                    BUT, when I started purchasing tools for woodworking, I went out and
                    bought everything I thought I needed. I do have a very nice table
                    saw, grinder, router and router table, two circular saws and
                    something called a all-in-one cutting tool that I have not used yet
                    due to lack of knowledge.

                    I am able to do just about anything I need to do with a jig saw,
                    reversible drill, palm sander a dremel, assorted hand tools, saw,
                    hammer, chisel set and clamps. The rest of the tools will have to
                    sit there until I take a woodworking class and find out how to use
                    them.

                    Theresa

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Talmoor" <talmoor@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > I am looking at re stocking my tools. for a few reasons all of my
                    tools
                    > are gone and I am working from scratch. What have you all found
                    usefull
                    > or essential in the shop? I am looking at hobby and around the
                    house
                    > projects. Gear for my encampment and personal enjoyment. My
                    current
                    > list is an entry level table saw, a 12" drill press with mortise
                    > attachemnt, a plunge router, a hand held jigsaw, a palm sander,
                    and an
                    > assortment of clamps, bits, and blades. Any suggestions or
                    thoughts?

                    > Alasdair
                  • Ralph Lindberg
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dan Baker <LordRhys@g...> wrote:
                      > am happy with it. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Grizzly,
                      > some day I'll have to buy one.

                      I have a lot of faith in the quality per dollar in Griz. Next is
                      probably a large Grizzly lathe

                      Ralg
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                        --- toomuch87505 <too_be_free@...> wrote:

                        The rest of the
                        > tools will have to
                        > sit there until I take a woodworking class and find
                        > out how to use
                        > them.
                        >
                        > Theresa>

                        Don't waste money buying tools you
                        don't know how to use, unless you
                        have a specific plan for learning
                        or a specific use for them that some
                        other tool you already have cannot do.

                        But expand your tools and learn your skills
                        at the same time....It's the 'waste'
                        part that is important to stay in control of.

                        ( who advised you to get the
                        'all in one' cutting tool?...
                        just curious... )

                        You end up with enough tools that
                        you thought would be useful at the
                        time without effort anyway.

                        There is a magazine called Woodsmith
                        ( I think ) that has a series of projects,
                        each a little bigger than the previous one,
                        than build on the techniques from the previous
                        project. While I don't always like the
                        projects they pick, I like the way that
                        they group them together.

                      • Tim Bray
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                          Following up on what Conal said - a really good way to approach this is to start with the first project on your list, or the first three, or whatever; figure out what tools you need for those specific projects, and buy them.  Build the projects.  Then go on to the next project.  Buy tools as you need them, rather than buying tools and then figuring out what to do with them.

                          The first thing you will need is a bench; the most essential tool in the shop.

                          I would urge you to consider starting with hand tools and adding power tools only as needed to speed up certain tasks.   If this is a hobby, you may find you do not need the power tools after all, and you won't miss the howling racket or the unhealthy dust.   Hand saws, planes, chisels, a brace and spoon bits, some clamps, and you are ready to start building medieval furniture.  Hand planing is a hell of a lot more fun than using a power jointer and planer, and for one-off projects it is probably no slower once you get the hang of it.

                          Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust collection.  There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over everything any more; effective dust collection is cheap now.  Less than $200 gets you a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good enough to start with.  I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust collector, and use it!   Don't buy any random-orbit sander without built-in dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best), and consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway.  ROSs create a lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the cancer risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit woodworking as a result.  This is avoidable!

                          Cheers,
                          Colin

                          Albion Works
                          Furniture and Accessories
                          For the Medievalist!
                        • toomuch87505
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                            I did buy these tools with specific projects in mind. However, when
                            I set them up in my workshop, I couldn't figure out how to put in a
                            blade or how to guide a router. They are sitting there as are the
                            projects I wanted to make as well.

                            I would rather have them sit there until I am able to safely use
                            them, then to try to figure them out and lose a finger or an eye.

                            I do use my jig saw, drill and sander regularly and have made
                            several break down chairs, tables and chests. All I really need is
                            some instructions on the rest of the tools and I should be ok.

                            Theresa

                          • Tim Bray
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                              Theresa, my message was actually directed toward Alasdair, who started this thread.  Sorry, I should have made that clear!

                              You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number of places:

                              1.  The owner's manual is the first place to look.  But often these are either inadequate, or missing, so...
                              2.  There are any number of after-market books on table saws and routers.  Some of them are better than others.  Try looking through the Amazon reviews to see which are recommended.
                              3.  Likewise there are quite a number of videos available now.
                              4.  Ideally, you might be able to take a class or attend a workshop in your area.  Woodcraft stores, community colleges, and arts centers are good places to look.

                              You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.

                              Cheers,
                              Colin

                              Albion Works
                              Furniture and Accessories
                              For the Medievalist!
                            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                                Of the injuries I have seen on wood workers... the table saw and shaper(router mounted in a table) took parts off that never grew back!!

                                James Cunningham
                                Who has scarres and scares

                                You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.
                              • John LaTorre
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                                  Sir Colin wrote:

                                  > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
                                  > of places:
                                  >
                                  > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
                                  > either inadequate, or missing, so...

                                  There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
                                  out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for pretty
                                  much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if I
                                  can track him down again.

                                  Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

                                • Arthur Slaughter
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                                    If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted having inherited
                                    several older tools lacking manuals.
                                    Finn

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

                                      > Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust
                                      > collection. There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over
                                      everything
                                      > any more; effective dust collection is cheap now. Less than $200
                                      gets you
                                      > a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good
                                      > enough to start with. I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust
                                      > collector, and use it! Don't buy any random-orbit sander without
                                      built-in
                                      > dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best),
                                      and
                                      > consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway. ROSs
                                      create a
                                      > lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the
                                      cancer
                                      > risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit
                                      > woodworking as a result. This is avoidable!

                                      Excellent advise. I have a small Delta two-stage, with a large hood.
                                      The hood goes next to the sanding station, or the lathe, or... and
                                      almost all that dust goes straight in.
                                      However, I find the table-saw doesn't collect as well, so I also
                                      have a whole-shop air-filter (Delta, but that's just cause it was on
                                      sale).
                                      Dust==bad

                                      TTFN
                                      Ralg
                                      AnTir
                                    • Ralph Lindberg
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                        I just recalled the following shop lay-out tool from the Grizzly
                                        web-site. It only has generic objects (benchs, etc) and Grizzly tools.
                                        But since most Grizzly tools have the same foot-print as most
                                        Delta/Jet/etc tools. It still works

                                        Enjoy
                                        http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

                                        TTFN
                                        Ralg
                                        AnTir
                                      • John LaTorre
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                          Finn wrote:

                                          > If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted
                                          > having inherited
                                          > several older tools lacking manuals.

                                          Well, I can't find that information anymore, but here's a link that may
                                          help:

                                          http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

                                          --Johann
                                        • Arthur Slaughter
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                            My thanks for your efforts. I can definately use the site you posted.
                                            Finn Mac Art

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                                              Harken, hear, and heed.

                                              If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.

                                              But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                                              have lost their way.

                                              They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                                              warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                                              remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                                              are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.

                                              They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                                              working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                                              grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.

                                              But I can quit any time I want.

                                              Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                                              manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                                              You can also join the discussion list.

                                              Just don't say I didn't warn you.

                                              Master Will
                                              http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                                                Most Kind and Generous Master Will.
                                                Thanks from teh bottom of my pillaging viking heart!
                                                THL Finn Mac Art
                                                In Service to the Griffon

                                                >From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                                                >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                                                >Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                                                >Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:06 -0400
                                                >
                                                >Harken, hear, and heed.
                                                >
                                                >If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.
                                                >
                                                >But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                                                >have lost their way.
                                                >
                                                >They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                                                >warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                                                >remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                                                >are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.
                                                >
                                                >They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                                                >working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                                                >grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.
                                                >
                                                >But I can quit any time I want.
                                                >
                                                >Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                                                >manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                                                >You can also join the discussion list.
                                                >
                                                >Just don't say I didn't warn you.
                                                >
                                                >Master Will
                                                >http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                              • paul
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 22, 2005
                                                  While I love old power tools, My newest toy is an old hand crank drill
                                                  press, I just need to find a post to mount it on. My blacksmiting buddy
                                                  from down the block keeps offering to let me put it up in her forge room
                                                  but somehow I just don't trust her.

                                                  Paul