RE: [MedievalSawdust] rebuilding the workshop

  • Arthur Slaughter
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 7, 2005
      If you can swing it a Planer and jointer sure save on lumber costs. Also on
      frustration trying to work with the wooden corkscrews that most lumber yards
      stock.
      Finn
      >From: "Talmoor" <talmoor@...>
      >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [MedievalSawdust] rebuilding the workshop
      >Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 02:46:26 -0000
      >

      >I am looking at re stocking my tools. for a few reasons all of my tools
      >are gone and I am working from scratch. What have you all found usefull
      >or essential in the shop? I am looking at hobby and around the house
      >projects. Gear for my encampment and personal enjoyment. My current
      >list is an entry level table saw, a 12" drill press with mortise
      >attachemnt, a plunge router, a hand held jigsaw, a palm sander, and an
      >assortment of clamps, bits, and blades. Any suggestions or thoughts?
      >
      >Alasdair

    • jim
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 7, 2005
        Hi,
        I would make sure that any tablesaw you get
        be able to use a stacked dado set. The Delta
        Unisaw tablesaw is my personal favorite. I
        prefer using an orbital disk sander to a palm
        sander, and an air powered one is even better.
        Router tables are nice, or make your own as your
        first shop project. Also good are band saw
        and a belt sander.

        smithur/jim

        for Good!

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/Lmiol
        B/TM

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 7, 2005
          3/8 reversable drill for drilling and screws, belt sander(for belt sander
          theory of wood working) and a band saw for cutting every thing from bones to
          brass.

          James Cunningham

          > I am looking at re stocking my tools. for a few reasons all of my tools
          > are gone and I am working from scratch. What have you all found usefull
          > or essential in the shop? I am looking at hobby and around the house
          > projects. Gear for my encampment and personal enjoyment. My current
          > list is an entry level table saw, a 12" drill press with mortise
          > attachemnt, a plunge router, a hand held jigsaw, a palm sander, and an
          > assortment of clamps, bits, and blades. Any suggestions or thoughts?
          >
          > Alasdair
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ralph Lindberg
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
            That's a big question.

            Obviously you are asking about power tools.

            Some thoughts. I modified my Grizzly TS so that the wings are also
            router tables (both wings). That gives me a LARGE router table and I
            can have both routers rigger for different tasks.

            Don't get the Ryobi AP10 planner, I did and dumped it. I now have the
            Dewalt 12inch. Which brings up Vimes Law (again), buy the best tools
            you can afford to. Every time I have not followed that law, I have
            regreted it (and usually dumped the junk).

            If you have the room, consider the Jet or Delta Midi-Lathe. They are
            large enough to turn almost any SCA project, from mugs to 8 inch
            bowls. I talked my lady-wife into getting me one for Christmas last
            year, worst mistake I ever made. The extras (tools, centers,
            face-plates) have cost me more then she spent on the lathe.

            Oh ya, routers, 1/2 routers are not that much more then 1/4 inch. Buy
            1/2 each. I have two, a pluge and a fixed.

            Don't forget the handtools: a couple good planes, an inside and
            outside draw knife (nice for planning swords), good chisels, the list
            goes on and on

            That should keep your broke for, well, years.

            Ralg
            AnTir
          • Avery Austringer
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
              Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
              times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
              circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I used
              a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
              too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
              package with a higher end fence.

              If you anticipate having more money to spend later,
              consider this: I saw a guy do some great work with a
              circular saw bolted to a piece of plywood and a table
              frame from salvaged scraps. His fence was a piece of
              wood on a double arm that he locked in place with a
              pair of quick clamps. I've heard tell of guys doing
              height adjustments on this kind of rig by mounting the
              saw on a piece of plywood that is attached to the
              tabke by a hinge and a single bolt (the bolt doubles
              as the adjustment point).

              Other thought - if a high end plane is on your list,
              look at e-bay in the collectables section. A common
              antique stanley plane is probably better than most of
              what's out there today.

              Also, get what you need to keep what you buy sharp!
              (See other posts by me on this subject.)

              Avery
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                --- Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:
                > Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
                > times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
                > circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I
                > used
                > a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
                > too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
                > package with a higher end fence.

                Stay far away from delta's 'entry' level
                saws....

                they are best used as landfill...

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Messenger
              • Dan Baker
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                  As far as a jointer, Hawk Woodworking makes a "Jointability" which
                  will do most of the work for very little money. $349 for the 8 foot
                  model. Joints with a router. I am thinking about buying one.

                  Even cheaper, I have an 8 foot long sled with a straight edge for my
                  table saw for jointing a straight edge on rough lumber. Works just
                  fine, cost? some scrap wood and a couple of hold downs, about $15
                  bucks. I haven't used the jointer in a long long time, the sled does
                  a better job one straightening cuts due to its length. But it can't
                  do the final clean up cuts that a jointer can do.

                  Table saw, buy top of the line (within the limits of your budget). It
                  is cheaper to buy the higher quality one then to buy the cheap one and
                  not be happy with it. This is true of most tools. I have a Jet and I
                  am happy with it. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Grizzly,
                  some day I'll have to buy one.

                  My Ryobi AP12 is a decent, not great planer, but I don't think they
                  make the AP10 or AP12 anymore. I have only had to replace a belt once
                  in 5 years for maintainence a (and a few blades). That was because I
                  screwed up, not the machine. but, for quality If I had the money I
                  would get a spiral blade planer or one of the new carbide cutter
                  planers. The carbide ones have dozens of small 4 sided cutters and
                  when they get dull, you rotate them, you only replace them after using
                  all 4 sides.

                  -Rhys

                  On Apr 8, 2005 5:28 PM, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:

                  > --- Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:
                  > > Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
                  > > times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
                  > > circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I
                  > > used
                  > > a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
                  > > too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
                  > > package with a higher end fence.
                  > >

                  > Stay far away from delta's 'entry' level
                  > saws....
                  >
                  > they are best used as landfill...
                  >
                  > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                  >
                  > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                  > ' Dare Something Worthy '

                  -Rhys
                • Arthur Slaughter
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                    Our landfill won't take em
                    Finn

                    >From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
                    >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                    >Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:28:10 -0700 (PDT)
                    >

                    >--- Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:
                    > > Be careful on the "entry level" table saw - a lot of
                    > > times the low end table saws are less acurate than a
                    > > circular saw, a straight edge and two clamps. I
                    > > used
                    > > a Delta contractors saw for a while and didn't have
                    > > too many complaints, but would recomend getting a
                    > > package with a higher end fence.
                    > >

                    >Stay far away from delta's 'entry' level
                    >saws....
                    >
                    > they are best used as landfill...
                    >

                    >Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    >
                    > Aude Aliquid Dignum
                    > ' Dare Something Worthy '
                    >

                    >__________________________________
                    >Yahoo! Messenger
                    >Show us what our next emoticon should look like. Join the fun.
                    >http://www.advision.webevents.yahoo.com/emoticontest

                  • toomuch87505
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                      Not that being a girl has anything to do with having a workshop,
                      BUT, when I started purchasing tools for woodworking, I went out and
                      bought everything I thought I needed. I do have a very nice table
                      saw, grinder, router and router table, two circular saws and
                      something called a all-in-one cutting tool that I have not used yet
                      due to lack of knowledge.

                      I am able to do just about anything I need to do with a jig saw,
                      reversible drill, palm sander a dremel, assorted hand tools, saw,
                      hammer, chisel set and clamps. The rest of the tools will have to
                      sit there until I take a woodworking class and find out how to use
                      them.

                      Theresa

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Talmoor" <talmoor@y...>
                      wrote:

                      > I am looking at re stocking my tools. for a few reasons all of my
                      tools
                      > are gone and I am working from scratch. What have you all found
                      usefull
                      > or essential in the shop? I am looking at hobby and around the
                      house
                      > projects. Gear for my encampment and personal enjoyment. My
                      current
                      > list is an entry level table saw, a 12" drill press with mortise
                      > attachemnt, a plunge router, a hand held jigsaw, a palm sander,
                      and an
                      > assortment of clamps, bits, and blades. Any suggestions or
                      thoughts?

                      > Alasdair
                    • Ralph Lindberg
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 8, 2005
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Dan Baker <LordRhys@g...> wrote:
                        > am happy with it. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Grizzly,
                        > some day I'll have to buy one.

                        I have a lot of faith in the quality per dollar in Griz. Next is
                        probably a large Grizzly lathe

                        Ralg
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                          --- toomuch87505 <too_be_free@...> wrote:

                          The rest of the
                          > tools will have to
                          > sit there until I take a woodworking class and find
                          > out how to use
                          > them.
                          >
                          > Theresa>

                          Don't waste money buying tools you
                          don't know how to use, unless you
                          have a specific plan for learning
                          or a specific use for them that some
                          other tool you already have cannot do.

                          But expand your tools and learn your skills
                          at the same time....It's the 'waste'
                          part that is important to stay in control of.

                          ( who advised you to get the
                          'all in one' cutting tool?...
                          just curious... )

                          You end up with enough tools that
                          you thought would be useful at the
                          time without effort anyway.

                          There is a magazine called Woodsmith
                          ( I think ) that has a series of projects,
                          each a little bigger than the previous one,
                          than build on the techniques from the previous
                          project. While I don't always like the
                          projects they pick, I like the way that
                          they group them together.

                        • Tim Bray
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                            Following up on what Conal said - a really good way to approach this is to start with the first project on your list, or the first three, or whatever; figure out what tools you need for those specific projects, and buy them.  Build the projects.  Then go on to the next project.  Buy tools as you need them, rather than buying tools and then figuring out what to do with them.

                            The first thing you will need is a bench; the most essential tool in the shop.

                            I would urge you to consider starting with hand tools and adding power tools only as needed to speed up certain tasks.   If this is a hobby, you may find you do not need the power tools after all, and you won't miss the howling racket or the unhealthy dust.   Hand saws, planes, chisels, a brace and spoon bits, some clamps, and you are ready to start building medieval furniture.  Hand planing is a hell of a lot more fun than using a power jointer and planer, and for one-off projects it is probably no slower once you get the hang of it.

                            Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust collection.  There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over everything any more; effective dust collection is cheap now.  Less than $200 gets you a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good enough to start with.  I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust collector, and use it!   Don't buy any random-orbit sander without built-in dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best), and consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway.  ROSs create a lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the cancer risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit woodworking as a result.  This is avoidable!

                            Cheers,
                            Colin

                            Albion Works
                            Furniture and Accessories
                            For the Medievalist!
                          • toomuch87505
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                              I did buy these tools with specific projects in mind. However, when
                              I set them up in my workshop, I couldn't figure out how to put in a
                              blade or how to guide a router. They are sitting there as are the
                              projects I wanted to make as well.

                              I would rather have them sit there until I am able to safely use
                              them, then to try to figure them out and lose a finger or an eye.

                              I do use my jig saw, drill and sander regularly and have made
                              several break down chairs, tables and chests. All I really need is
                              some instructions on the rest of the tools and I should be ok.

                              Theresa

                            • Tim Bray
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                                Theresa, my message was actually directed toward Alasdair, who started this thread.  Sorry, I should have made that clear!

                                You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number of places:

                                1.  The owner's manual is the first place to look.  But often these are either inadequate, or missing, so...
                                2.  There are any number of after-market books on table saws and routers.  Some of them are better than others.  Try looking through the Amazon reviews to see which are recommended.
                                3.  Likewise there are quite a number of videos available now.
                                4.  Ideally, you might be able to take a class or attend a workshop in your area.  Woodcraft stores, community colleges, and arts centers are good places to look.

                                You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.

                                Cheers,
                                Colin

                                Albion Works
                                Furniture and Accessories
                                For the Medievalist!
                              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 9, 2005
                                  Of the injuries I have seen on wood workers... the table saw and shaper(router mounted in a table) took parts off that never grew back!!

                                  James Cunningham
                                  Who has scarres and scares

                                  You are certainly wise to be cautious; table saws and routers are very dangerous tools if used incorrectly.  I was very lucky when I started using these tools - my mistakes did not cause serious injuries, but made me stop and think.
                                • John LaTorre
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                                    Sir Colin wrote:

                                    > You should be able to find instruction for your tools in a number
                                    > of places:
                                    >
                                    > 1. The owner's manual is the first place to look. But often these are
                                    > either inadequate, or missing, so...

                                    There used to be a guy on the internet who had copies of many
                                    out-of-production power tools, and he would copy them off for you for pretty
                                    much the cost of copying and postage. If anybody's interested, I'll see if I
                                    can track him down again.

                                    Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)

                                  • Arthur Slaughter
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 10, 2005
                                      If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted having inherited
                                      several older tools lacking manuals.
                                      Finn

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

                                        > Once you make the leap to power tools, be sure to include dust
                                        > collection. There's no reason to spew that damn dust all over
                                        everything
                                        > any more; effective dust collection is cheap now. Less than $200
                                        gets you
                                        > a 1HP roll-around DC with 1 micron filter bags (very important), good
                                        > enough to start with. I can't emphasize this enough - get a dust
                                        > collector, and use it! Don't buy any random-orbit sander without
                                        built-in
                                        > dust collection (the Bosch cartridge system seems to work the best),
                                        and
                                        > consider making yourself a downdraft sanding table anyway. ROSs
                                        create a
                                        > lot of very fine dust that goes deep into your lungs; apart from the
                                        cancer
                                        > risk, many people are developing severe allergies and have to quit
                                        > woodworking as a result. This is avoidable!

                                        Excellent advise. I have a small Delta two-stage, with a large hood.
                                        The hood goes next to the sanding station, or the lathe, or... and
                                        almost all that dust goes straight in.
                                        However, I find the table-saw doesn't collect as well, so I also
                                        have a whole-shop air-filter (Delta, but that's just cause it was on
                                        sale).
                                        Dust==bad

                                        TTFN
                                        Ralg
                                        AnTir
                                      • Ralph Lindberg
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                          I just recalled the following shop lay-out tool from the Grizzly
                                          web-site. It only has generic objects (benchs, etc) and Grizzly tools.
                                          But since most Grizzly tools have the same foot-print as most
                                          Delta/Jet/etc tools. It still works

                                          Enjoy
                                          http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

                                          TTFN
                                          Ralg
                                          AnTir
                                        • John LaTorre
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                            Finn wrote:

                                            > If it's not too much trouble. I surely would be interestted
                                            > having inherited
                                            > several older tools lacking manuals.

                                            Well, I can't find that information anymore, but here's a link that may
                                            help:

                                            http://www.oldwwmachines.com/

                                            --Johann
                                          • Arthur Slaughter
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 11, 2005
                                              My thanks for your efforts. I can definately use the site you posted.
                                              Finn Mac Art

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                                                Harken, hear, and heed.

                                                If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.

                                                But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                                                have lost their way.

                                                They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                                                warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                                                remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                                                are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.

                                                They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                                                working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                                                grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.

                                                But I can quit any time I want.

                                                Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                                                manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                                                You can also join the discussion list.

                                                Just don't say I didn't warn you.

                                                Master Will
                                                http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 17, 2005
                                                  Most Kind and Generous Master Will.
                                                  Thanks from teh bottom of my pillaging viking heart!
                                                  THL Finn Mac Art
                                                  In Service to the Griffon

                                                  >From: "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
                                                  >To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
                                                  >Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: rebuilding the workshop
                                                  >Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:33:06 -0400
                                                  >
                                                  >Harken, hear, and heed.
                                                  >
                                                  >If it is lore of old power tools ye need, I can direct ye.
                                                  >
                                                  >But beware, for this way lies danger. The gentles I am sending you to
                                                  >have lost their way.
                                                  >
                                                  >They used to be woodworkers, but the passion for "old arn" bites without
                                                  >warning, and bites deep. Oh, certes, occasionally one of these lads will
                                                  >remember why we MAKE sawdust, and will turn out a decent piece, but they
                                                  >are far happier re-wiring switches and restoring old equipment.
                                                  >
                                                  >They were very helpful to me in getting an old 6" jointer back into
                                                  >working order not too far back. And I'm looking at re-wiring my wife's
                                                  >grandfather's industrial Tannewitz bandsaw.
                                                  >
                                                  >But I can quit any time I want.
                                                  >
                                                  >Hie thee to www.owwm.com. They call this the Mothersite, wherein old
                                                  >manuals are scanned and stored. It's open to the public at no cost.
                                                  >You can also join the discussion list.
                                                  >
                                                  >Just don't say I didn't warn you.
                                                  >
                                                  >Master Will
                                                  >http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

                                                • paul
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 22, 2005
                                                    While I love old power tools, My newest toy is an old hand crank drill
                                                    press, I just need to find a post to mount it on. My blacksmiting buddy
                                                    from down the block keeps offering to let me put it up in her forge room
                                                    but somehow I just don't trust her.

                                                    Paul