Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 709

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      > I am already going to be sacrificing in the
      > materials area, using milled lumber and soft wood
      > instead of hardwoods due to expense in my part of
      > the world (Elfsea, Ansteorra).....

      I think you are going to have a lot of trouble with
      splitting if you go with the softer woods and try to
      do real joinery.

      That being said, look arount - If nothing else, make
      the roadtrip to SW Missouri (though I'm sure something
      is closer) - and find a saw mill that will sell you
      rough sawn boards.

      I've picked up "construction grade" oak - a bit knotty
      and not particularly dry - for about what you'd pay
      for equally knotty and not as dry as it ought to be
      "premium" softwood at a home center. You might have
      to paint the ends sticker stack it through the summer
      before you start.

      Avery