Re: [MedievalSawdust] New Project - New Topic

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
      Just got back from Gulf wars and saw a working onager. You will need to use good oak to hold the skeen.  Even at SCA combat loads the strain put on the skeen holder parts it too much for even yellow pine.  The ballista we took has much smaller skeens and yellow pine is holding up fine. My goal for the ballista is to throw a Roman bolt 300 yards. currently we can get 160 yards with a SCA combat crossbow bolt.

      James Cunningham
      at present.  Will get back to the list when I get to the ballista and catapulta.

      Thanks for any help, contacts, references, or encouragement.

      YIS

      Richard Sinclair

      Yahoo! Messenger