New Project - New Topic

  • Richard Terry
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005

      Good evening, Gentles!

      I am embarking on a great quest and hope to tap into some illustrious brain trusts on this list.  I have long been interested in medieval siege engines and hope to build a number of my own over the next few years.  Easy enough to accomplish.  Plans and kits abound.  BUT...I want to do it "right".  While I certainly will not be building to exact scale (who really NEEDS to throw a 300 lb rock 200 yards?), I do hope to build my toys as accurately as possible.  I am already going to be sacrificing in the materials area, using milled lumber and soft wood instead of hardwoods due to expense in my part of the world (Elfsea, Ansteorra).  But I would like to at least get the timber joinery, the design, and the "look" right.  Understand that my engines will be built as transportable and meant to last for a much longer period of time than the period equivalents.  Also, they are being built for demonstration purposes not just to throw tennis balls in SCA combat.  Primarily interested in trebuchets and onagers at present.  Will get back to the list when I get to the ballista and catapulta.

      Thanks for any help, contacts, references, or encouragement.

      YIS

      Richard Sinclair

      Yahoo! Messenger
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.