RE: More advise (was recommendations for wood to use for projects)

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2005
      >just remember to take your time, and don't measure
      once and cut twice. :>

      Don't knock a good strategy! Measure it a smidgel
      over, cut it once with a saw and then a bunch with a
      plane until you get exactly the fit you want! Deep
      down, nobody really notices the exact dimensions, so
      long as all the bits fit together right. (Admitedly,
      that plane thing does not apply to plywood so much.)

      My advise for new woodworkers - know how to sharpen
      every tool you own, and make sure it's sharp before
      you try to use it. Every time I've used a dull tool I
      find myself looking at my work and thinking "Gah, that
      looks like crap!"

      This includes power tools! I've got a pair of cuts I
      made with a dull circular saw. The first one looked
      like a sine wave, so I tried really hard to stay on
      the line the second time. It looked like a sine wave
      with a higher frequency! Fortunatly those edges got
      burried later in the project (my house).

      This includes pencils!

      Avery