Re: [medievalsawdust] Need wood

  • Anthony Craft
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2003
      Oh yeah ... I've got a Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/) about a mile
      from my actual residence over here in Detroit so I can bring their stuff
      to Midrealm/AE/Ealdomere events as well ...

      --
      THL Sgt. Iain Ruadh
      Pentamere Region, Midrealm

      "His troops would follow him anywhere ...
      but only out of curiosity!"

      www.pentamerefreecompany.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2003
        --- jrwinkler@... wrote:
        > Howdy gang.
        >
        > Well. what I'm looking for is maple or alder turning
        > blocks. need to be between 4" sq. by 5" long to
        > 5.5" square by 5"-6" long. I'm working on turning
        > some period cups so keeping to the 'right' woods is
        > relevant. Unfortunately, my local sources for wood
        > don't seem to get these kinds in. any ideas (.
        > short of going out and laying some of the maples in
        > my front yard low????).
        >
        > Yer' most obdn't servant -
        > Chas.

        Try contacting anyone in your area that
        might use the same stuff...Dowel makers,
        woodworking shops, pattern makers ( if there
        are any left... )

        Ask where they get it.

        or order it online somewhere...

        =====

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • jrwinkler@msn.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18, 2003
          Thanks Iain…  appreciate the leads.   You wrote that you've enjoyed the L.L. Johnson shop… after seeing their website, I can see why!!!  Heck, I just saw it on the internet and I'M enjoying the heck out of it.

          Just out of curiosity, any chance you're going to be at Golden Seamstress this weekend?  I'm going to be in Cincinnati but m'Lady will be in Detroit.  It might be an easy (and short) trip?  [I.e., I'm inclined to take you up on your offer…  please don't make a special effort because the need isn't critical yet… but if you were planning on being there it could be a good connection and I'll send you a list of what I'm looking for…]

          Thanks for the leads and the offer of assistance…

          Your most obdn't servant -
          Charles
        • Anthony Craft
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 18, 2003
            Hmmm ... I have to teach some melee stuff at another local event (Fight
            for Fenris in Owosso), but I can pick stuff up Friday during the day,
            head over and help set up for Fenris in Owosso and then wander over to
            Seamstress afterwards to drop off stuff. Is your lady wife on one of
            the teams? If she is, since it's an "all nighter", I drive over and
            drop stuff off. Let me know if you're still interested and we can make
            arrangements.
            Iain Ruadh

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2003
              Yep, Kate will be on the "Silver Thimble South" team. [By the way…  'Seamstress' is a cool event, I went up there last year with the team as 'support staff'.  It would be a hoot… assuming that we could find a place with enough electricity for all the power tools… to do something along these lines with woodworking… TOTALLY IMPRACTICAL… but man would it be fun…    hummm… on the other hand, power tools, pointy objects and 20+ straight hours of working over them…  maybe this isn't such a hot idea….]

              What I'm looking for is some turning blocks in soft maple and alder.  Diameters between 4" and 5" are desirable… many of the examples of the cups I've seen seem to run around 4.5" O.D. but, as we all know, standards weren't all that standard so there's some play room here. (if blocks.. a minimum length of, say 5" or so…)     I could use total of about 3 linear feet of maple and about the same of alder.  As there are a variety of cup designs there is a fair degree of flexibility between the two diameters.   Cured wood is preferable (saves steps) but green would do in a pinch…  no heartwood (actually, pieces that look like they were taken from a roundwood half would be cool but I'm not THAT picky…).

              I am much in your debt sir…  the biggest desire to acquire this wood isn't for my own project (although I'm planning on turning out a few for my own use) but for for a fellow Scadian here that I'm teaching the art of turning to…  he is holding an archery competition at our upcoming Spring event in April (?) and wants to turn a couple of period cups (documentable) to give as prizes…  unfortunately, as I noted in my previous letter, the local stores around here while normally pretty fair, are a little short in this department at the moment and don't seem overly encouraging about improvements any time soon…

              Your most obdn't servant -