Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: inkle loom question

  • James Winkler
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 12, 2005
      Hey Conal... did you ever draft up some plans/measured drawings for the version of this loom that you made?  (For anybody who wants to see it, check out Conal's pics in the 'Photos' areas of the group...)

      Only note on this design... some versions have an upper 'trestle' between the upright poles as well as the lower one...  it can help to form a more rigid frame when the cords are tensioned as they do have a bit of flex if you tension the warp too tight...

      Any tips on using it?

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 12, 2005
        I'm trying to make/find time to do
        some MAJOR updating on my website
        and get that stuff out.

        The file for that is WAY too big to
        send through a dial-up connection

        As soon I I finish reading my email
        I'm heading down to my shop to clean
        re-arrange and make room for new power
        tools... ( Life's rough when you have
        to make room for tools.... )

        --- James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:
        > Hey Conal... did you ever draft up some
        > plans/measured drawings for the version of this loom
        > that you made? (For anybody who wants to see it,
        > check out Conal's pics in the 'Photos' areas of the
        > group...)
        >
        > Only note on this design... some versions have an
        > upper 'trestle' between the upright poles as well as
        > the lower one... it can help to form a more rigid
        > frame when the cords are tensioned as they do have a
        > bit of flex if you tension the warp too tight...
        >
        > Any tips on using it?
        >
        > Chas.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ewdysar
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 14, 2005
          Definately a worthy, period tablet weaving loom. Perhaps some more
          information would be in order about it's origins and use to help
          convince the individual who asked about Inkle Looms that this may be
          a more appropriate answer for her.

          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
          who's wife wants an Inkle loom regardless of it's historical
          accuracy...

          <baronconal@y...> wrote:
          > if you are interested....
          >
          > no wedges
          > no screws
          > no bolts
          > no complicated joints
          >
          > 3 pieces
          >
          > portable ( make all the joints slip together )
          >

          > Easy to make....
          >
          > and period ( for the 14th Cen at least, I stopped
          > looking at that point )
          >
          > Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          >
          > Aude Aliquid Dignum
          > ' Dare Something Worthy '

        • mahee of acre
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 17, 2005
            period inkle loom before 1450...

            Inkle, meaning a narrow ribbon or band...

            12c illumination shows a woman weaving. Her loom is a verticle board
            with 8 long slot and a hole between them. This is basically a rigid
            heddle, but one that does not move, but is attached to a stand. It
            is not for card weaving. The far end of the threads are attached to
            the wall and the other to her.

            your servant,
            mahee