What's up?

  • baronconal
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 7 1:35 PM
      What's everyone working on?

      I'm currently finishing up documentation
      on a 15th century tabletweaving floor loom
      for Oaken A&S. The actual loom is done.

      Are there any topics you are dying to
      discuss?

      Conal
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 8 11:41 AM
        And very well done from the pictures I ave seen.

        Greetings Conal my friend!

        Did you get those hinges?

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        ...Take time to dance in the rain...

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 8 12:35 PM
          Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
          the locals have threatened to steal.

          Thanks for the tip!

          For those that don't know what we are
          talking about, check out....

          www.leevalley.com

          Conal

          --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@...> wrote:
          > And very well done from the pictures I have seen.
          >
          > Greetings Conal my friend!
          >
          > Did you get those hinges?

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 8 6:20 PM
            Yep, I have noticed them come up missing on occasion. They have some nice
            stuff.

            I just spent the evening working on an oak table top, not period, but I
            agreed to make one for my dad. Now I have to tackle 'THE LIST'!!! Sigh, 15
            plus projects that have to be done before Pennsic. And now my wife wants me
            to make new doors an drawers for the kitchen. Good thing I like sawdust
            cause I am going to be knee deep in it for the next six months. Then I just
            got ahold of Diehl and Donnelly's "Medieval Furniture: Plans and
            Instructions for Historical Reproductions" Nice book (ISBN 0811728544 for
            those interested) But, I gotta stop adding to my list, ........maybe if I
            get everything caught up.... I swear, the more I do, the more I want to do.
            Any Ideas on how to make the days longer?

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 9 4:23 AM
              Then I just got ahold of Diehl and Donnelly's
              "Medieval Furniture: Plans and
              Instructions for Historical Reproductions" Nice book
              (ISBN 0811728544 for those interested)

              How about a book review?
              That's the second one isn't it?
              You do know that some of the measurements
              in the 1st book ( ISBN 0-8117-2795-5 )are
              off? Be careful with the numbers in this
              one too. Check them first. I think American
              Woodworking did an Article that corrected
              some of the information that was wrong in the
              1st one. I'll check into this....

              I've got to work on tables and benches for
              Pennsic, ( and then talk someone else into
              carting them around..... )and a new bed, and
              4 pairs of the folding coffer chairs and a
              single chair ( commissions )

              ( pics of chairs in photo area of the group page
              Where's everyone else photos? hint hint hint...)

              and a new gateway for Pennsci and a
              smaller tabel for events and a couple of
              chests and and and and and and and.....

              Conal

              ps Rhys, You wanna come down for the oaken
              A&S? I got crash space. Bring your lovely
              lady....

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 9 6:25 AM
                A book review will have to wait a couple weeks, I got draggoned into writing
                a couple articles for Artes Draconis, and I only have about 2 weeks. But I
                would be happy to do one.

                I am making another of the Viking beds
                http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/bedplan.html

                as a gift/commision (I offered to make one for the cost of the wood). My
                Baron and Baroness are viking and really liked my bed.

                --
                YIS,

                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                Privateer to the Midrealm

                Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                ...Take time to dance in the rain...

              • vinlandar
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 11, 2002
                  Conal,

                  Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges you received? A
                  good source of period looking and maybe even primitive looking hinges
                  would be very nice.

                  -Charlie

                  --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 12, 2002
                    lee valley has hand forged hinges
                    I haven't used them ( the other project
                    was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
                    a budget...

                    got pic's of what you are planning?

                    Conal

                    --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
                    > Conal,
                    >
                    > Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges
                    > you received? A
                    > good source of period looking and maybe even
                    > primitive looking hinges
                    > would be very nice.
                    >
                    > -Charlie
                    >

                    > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
                    > <baronconal@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
                    > > the locals have threatened to steal.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the tip!
                    > >
                    > > For those that don't know what we are
                    > > talking about, check out....
                    > >
                    > > www.leevalley.com
                    > >

                    > > Conal
                    > >
                    > > --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                    > > > And very well done from the pictures I have
                    > seen.
                    > > >
                    > > > Greetings Conal my friend!
                    > > >
                    > > > Did you get those hinges?

                    > > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
                    > email!
                    > > http://mail.yahoo.com/

                    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                  • vinlandar
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                      Hi, Conal,

                      yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from whence I will be
                      drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a simple chest to
                      keep some of my stuff in.

                      stool:
                      http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                      Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit, and make mine
                      about half as long as this one.
                      http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                      I have done a little working with wood before, but I am not an
                      experienced woodworker.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                        If you are gonna go as far as
                        doing a reproduction ....
                        ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                        ... find a blacksmith and get the
                        hinges custom made. He/She might
                        help you make them, or just want a
                        little help with some grunt work in
                        trade.

                        Where are you?

                        Conal

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                          they are not Viking...

                          but check out...

                          http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

                          Conal

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                            Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's items. I
                            even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his items.

                            HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor Christienson, the
                            curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities of viking
                            artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the items are
                            period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking Captain
                            Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
                              Thanks, Captain,

                              I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                              Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                              to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                              little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                              the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                              passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                              there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                              toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                              would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                              the maker or the buyer.

                              Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                              that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                              the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                              stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

                              Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                              meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                              works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                              L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                              chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

                              If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

                              -Charlie

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
                                An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
                                If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
                                they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
                                other items seems reasonable.

                                >Thanks, Captain,
                                >
                                >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                                >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                                >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                                >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                                >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                                >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                                >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                                >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                                >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                                >the maker or the buyer.
                                >
                                >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                                >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                                >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                                >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
                                >
                                >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                                >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                                >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                                >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                                >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
                                >
                                >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
                                >
                                >-Charlie
                                >

                                >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                                > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
                                >items. I
                                > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
                                >items.
                                > >
                                > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
                                >Christienson, the
                                > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
                                >of viking
                                > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
                                >items are
                                > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
                                >Captain
                                > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
                                > >

                                > > >they are not Viking...
                                > > >
                                > > > but check out...
                                > > >
                                > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
                                > > >
                                > > > Conal

                                > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                                > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                                > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
                                > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                > >

                                > > --
                                > > YIS,
                                > >
                                > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                                > >
                                > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                                > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                                YIS,

                                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                                Privateer to the Midrealm

                                Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                                ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                              • Scott Lane
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                                  >If you are gonna go as far as
                                  >doing a reproduction ....
                                  > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                                  >... find a blacksmith and get the
                                  >hinges custom made. He/She might
                                  >help you make them, or just want a
                                  >little help with some grunt work in
                                  >trade.
                                  >Where are you?

                                  I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
                                  :) Let me know what kind you need?

                                  Aodhfin
                                • vinlandar
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                                    --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
                                    > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
                                    people
                                    > :) Let me know what kind you need?
                                    >
                                    > Aodhfin

                                    Ahodfin,

                                    Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
                                    the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
                                    and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

                                    -Charlie
                                  • Helen Schultz
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                                      These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

                                      ~~ Katarina Helene

                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                                        Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                                        http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                                        Will