Re: planned projects

  • vinlandar
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
      Hi, Conal,

      yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from whence I will be
      drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a simple chest to
      keep some of my stuff in.

      stool:
      http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

      Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit, and make mine
      about half as long as this one.
      http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

      I have done a little working with wood before, but I am not an
      experienced woodworker.

      -Charlie

      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@y...>

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
        If you are gonna go as far as
        doing a reproduction ....
        ( you are in the SCA, right? )
        ... find a blacksmith and get the
        hinges custom made. He/She might
        help you make them, or just want a
        little help with some grunt work in
        trade.

        Where are you?

        Conal

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
          they are not Viking...

          but check out...

          http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

          Conal
          --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
          > Hi, Conal,
          >
          > yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from
          > whence I will be
          > drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a
          > simple chest to
          > keep some of my stuff in.
          >
          > stool:

          http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

          > Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit,
          > and make mine
          > about half as long as this one.

          http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

          > I have done a little working with wood before, but I
          > am not an
          > experienced woodworker.
          >
          > -Charlie
          >

          > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
          > <baronconal@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > lee valley has hand forged hinges
          > > I haven't used them ( the other project
          > > was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
          > > a budget...
          > >
          > > got pic's of what you are planning?
          > >
          > > Conal

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
            Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's items. I
            even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his items.

            HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor Christienson, the
            curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities of viking
            artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the items are
            period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking Captain
            Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.

            --
            YIS,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            ...Take time to dance in the rain...

          • vinlandar
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 13, 2002
              Thanks, Captain,

              I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
              Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
              to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
              little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
              the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
              passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
              there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
              toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
              would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
              the maker or the buyer.

              Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
              that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
              the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
              stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

              Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
              meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
              works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
              L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
              chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

              If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

              -Charlie

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 14, 2002
                An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
                If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
                they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
                other items seems reasonable.

                >Thanks, Captain,
                >
                >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                >the maker or the buyer.
                >
                >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
                >
                >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
                >
                >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
                >
                >-Charlie
                >

                >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
                >items. I
                > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
                >items.
                > >
                > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
                >Christienson, the
                > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
                >of viking
                > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
                >items are
                > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
                >Captain
                > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
                > >

                > > >they are not Viking...
                > > >
                > > > but check out...
                > > >
                > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
                > > >
                > > > Conal

                > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
                > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                > >

                > > --
                > > YIS,
                > >
                > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                > >
                > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                YIS,

                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                Privateer to the Midrealm

                Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                ...Take time to dance in the rain...

              • Scott Lane
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                  >If you are gonna go as far as
                  >doing a reproduction ....
                  > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                  >... find a blacksmith and get the
                  >hinges custom made. He/She might
                  >help you make them, or just want a
                  >little help with some grunt work in
                  >trade.
                  >Where are you?

                  I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
                  :) Let me know what kind you need?

                  Aodhfin
                • vinlandar
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 16, 2002
                    --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
                    > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
                    people
                    > :) Let me know what kind you need?
                    >
                    > Aodhfin

                    Ahodfin,

                    Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
                    the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
                    and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

                    -Charlie
                  • Helen Schultz
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                      These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

                      ~~ Katarina Helene

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                        Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                        http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                        Will