drowning vikings

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8 5:29 PM
      It would be cool to have a real Viking raid in a SCA battle, boat coming in from a lake, beaching, and pouring forth Norsemen.

      Then I think about armor.  And water.   And mishaps....  I'd hate for SCA to make some national headlines with "17 Vikings Drowned in Medieval Recreationist Tragedy."  Brrrrr.

      And vikings with fluorescent orange life jackets is just wrong.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      Vikings drowning on a raid would be Ohh soo Period!

      Of course a better option would be to make a bunch of gambeson from the orange life vests. You wouldn't really need anything rigid over canvas filled with 4 inches of kapok. An even easier method would be the foam PFDs (personal flotation devices) under a coat of plastic plates. The armor would look fine but it and the vest underneath would probably both float.

      Brian Broadaxe
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8 5:40 PM
        Closed cell foam...thats what fighters use for padding....armor over life vest....big looking vikings.

        Igor the Innocent

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9 7:54 PM
          Closed cell foam...thats what fighters use for padding....armor over life vest....big looking vikings.

          Igor the Innocent

          That may be for padding armor. It isn't what is used for gambesons. Kapok is what is used to fill the orange flotation vests.

          Brian Broadaxe