RE: [MedievalSawdust] OT: Need quick drill press recommendations

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 7 7:41 PM
      --- Logan <logan@...> wrote:
      > go to home depot and get the ridgid floor model. its powerful, very
      > well built, very reliable, and well worth the money.

      I got it. It was hard to pass up a 15" drill press for $267.

      Ulrich

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Logan
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 7 7:58 PM

        you will be pleased im sure.  8)

        www.ebonwoulfe.com

        Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

        > go to home depot and get the ridgid floor model.  its powerful, very
        > well built, very reliable, and well worth the money.

        I got it.  It was hard to pass up a 15" drill press for $267.

        Ulrich

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8 8:51 PM
          On this same note, I know that Tractor Supply Company wasn't on his
          list of stores he had access to ...

          However, What are people's experience (if any) with the 'Clarke
          Metalworker' brand of tools that TSC sells? They are amazingly low
          priced for what they are, and seem to be very well made (via an
          inspection I did in store).

          Granted, they only sell metal working tools, but many of those are
          perfectly good woodworking tools as well. Such as their floor Drill
          Press, with built-in laser, work light, and vise. For $175

          Details I got appear to be:
          (16 speed, 12" table, speeds from 260-4220RPM) . Comes fully
          assembled, runs on 115volt AC, and has a milled cast iron table

          http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1012&sonID=593&page=1&productID=9842

          I own an 8" bench grinder I bought from them (same brand) and it has
          served me well.

          Siegfried - Who knows he's going to need a new drill press sooner or
          later. -- Oh, and they have a nice benchtop for only $50
        • Logan
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 9 2:39 AM

            i use a clarke metalworker abrasive chop saw and have no complaints at all.  it is powerful and smooth.  it cuts straight and holds its plumb well (only needs to be adjusted once a year or so if that).  i highly recommend that particular saw.

            regards

            logan

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 9 6:59 PM

              This fall we’re planning a visit to England .  Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

              YIS Alfric

            • Ralph
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 9 10:32 PM

                I am also interested in locations of medieval furniture in England .

                YIS Alfric

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 10 7:20 AM

                  M’kay.

                  From my last trip Over the Big Water:

                  Don’t waste your time with the British Museum.  TONS of Egyptian stuff, but very little furniture from our period.

                  Spend a day in the Victoria and Albert Museum.  Quite a few items, including the Great Bed of Ware, but not organized for a woodworker’s convenience.

                  I’m heading over next month, and I’m intending to see if these guys will let me molest the stock in their showroom.

                  http://www.huntington-antiques.com/

                  The Tower of London has very good reproductions, and a few very nice 16th Century originals, but not a lot.

                  I am also interested in locations of medieval furniture in England.

                  YIS Alfric

                  This fall we’re planning a visit to England.  Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                  YIS Alfric

                • Tom Rettie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 10 10:31 AM
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <alfric@c...> wrote:

                    > This fall we're planning a visit to England.
                    > Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                    High on my list are:

                    Weald and Downland Museum (near Chichester)
                    Authentic period structures and lots of reproduction furniture.
                    http://www.wealddown.co.uk/

                    Mary Rose Museum (Portsmouth)
                    Many artifacts from a Tudor warship (incl. the warship).
                    http://www.maryrose.org/

                    The entire city of York, but esp.
                    Barley Hall
                    (authentic/restored structure with reproduction furniture)
                    http://website.lineone.net/~barleyhall/

                    Jorvik and the York Archaological Center
                    http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/trialsplash2.htm

                    Victoria and Albert Museum (London)
                    Lots of furniture and decorative woodwork.
                    http://www.vam.ac.uk/

                    Museum of London (London)
                    Lots of artifacts, some furniture.
                    http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/

                    All of these sites are accessible by Underground or train (W&D
                    Museum also requires a short bus ride).

                    Tom R.
                    (Fin)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10 3:01 PM
                      the Museum of London is nice....

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129onrr9a/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr

                      oups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1110524263/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
                      > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                      > :HM/A=2593423/rand=451839551>
                      >

                      > _____
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Terms of Service
                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • msgilliandurham
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10 5:36 PM
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                        wrote:

                        > I'm heading over next month, and I'm intending to see if these
                        > guys will let me molest the stock in their showroom.
                        >
                        > http://www.huntington-antiques.com/

                        ooohh, drool.

                        And if they do, you will be bringing back lots of pictures, yes?
                        Pretty please? For A&S, right?

                        Note: to tie this into recent discussions -- this site currently has
                        pictures of

                        A 17th century settle that turns into a table
                        http://www.huntington-antiques.com/settles.htm -- this one is
                        already sold, don't know how long the pix will be up

                        a 15th century "Polychrome" livery cupboard
                        http://www.huntington-antiques.com/17185.htm -- Master William,
                        maybe these folks can tell you *what* it's painted with?

                        and a 17th Century oak cradle
                        http://www.huntington-antiques.com/25014.htm

                        I also notice that there are no *prices* given for any of this
                        stuff :-)

                        Gillian [who misses travel] Durham