A quick check in from Halvgrimr

  • Schuster, Robert L.
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
      A quick check in from Halvgrimr

      Howdy guys
      Several of us just got back from a Viking Age demo we did in WI this weekend
      A full report and many very cool pic to follow

      Mostly I just wanted to say I was back and to report some very cool news.
      As of Saturday Norsa and a few our friends were officially contacted to report we are now the owners of a Viking Age vessel;)

      On Saturday the Longship Co had a board meeting and officially accepted our bid on the Fyrdraca.
      More on this as the situation unfolds;)
      Until then here is a webpage that can give you an idea of what I am talking about.

      We are very excited and greatly appreciate the Longship Co giving us the opportunity to bid on the vessel.
      We know we have some work ahead of us but we have rounded up a large group of woodworkers and boatbuilding enthusiasts to help in the endeavor.

      Halv

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
        A quick check in from Halvgrimr
        I have seen the Fyrdraca when I when out to the Longship Co.  Where are you going to move it?

        James Cunningham

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
          A quick check in from Halvgrimr
          She is being relocated to central Missouri were she will be mostly a fresh water lake ship;)

          Halv

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2005
            A quick check in from Halvgrimr
            I have always wanted to do an early morning raid on Lillies....from the lake side!!

            James Cunningham

          • kjworz@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2005
              A thought occurred. I'm sure I'm not the first.

              It would be cool to have a real Viking raid in a SCA battle, boat coming in from a lake, beaching, and pouring forth Norsemen.

              Then I think about armor. And water. And mishaps.... I'd hate for SCA to make some national headlines with "17 Vikings Drowned in Medieval Recreationist Tragedy." Brrrrr.

              And vikings with fluorescent orange life jackets is just wrong.

              --
              -Chris Schwartz
              Silver Spring, MD

              I have always wanted to do an early morning raid on Lillies....from the lake side!!

              James Cunningham

              She is being relocated to central Missouri were she will be mostly a fresh water lake ship;)

              Halv
            • msgilliandurham
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2005
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, kjworz@c... wrote:
                > A thought occurred. I'm sure I'm not the first.
                >
                > It would be cool to have a real Viking raid in a SCA battle, boat
                coming in from a lake, beaching, and pouring forth Norsemen.

                > Then I think about armor. And water. And mishaps.... I'd hate
                for SCA to make some national headlines with "17 Vikings Drowned in
                Medieval Recreationist Tragedy." Brrrrr.

                > And vikings with fluorescent orange life jackets is just wrong.

                Make it a boffer battle.

                Vikings with hot pink and neon green water noodles, oh my!

                <g, d, and r>
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 8, 2005
                  I think more like the Thirteenth Warrior. Yelling "ODEN" to find the shore
                  then waiting to be recognized. Think armor,100 deg heat, and fighting . We
                  are luck we do not loose more. We will call the life jackets orange sheep
                  skins.

                  James Cunningham

                  > A thought occurred. I'm sure I'm not the first.
                  >
                  > It would be cool to have a real Viking raid in a SCA battle, boat coming
                  in from a lake, beaching, and pouring forth Norsemen.

                  > Then I think about armor. And water. And mishaps.... I'd hate for SCA
                  to make some national headlines with "17 Vikings Drowned in Medieval
                  Recreationist Tragedy." Brrrrr.
                  > And vikings with fluorescent orange life jackets is just wrong.
                  >

                  > --
                  > -Chris Schwartz
                  > Silver Spring, MD
                  >

                  > I have always wanted to do an early morning raid on Lillies....from the
                  lake side!!

                  > James Cunningham

                • James Winkler
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 8, 2005
                    O.k. - THAT'S a cool vision...  Winking smiley emoticon

                    Chas.

                    (Orange sheepskins...  hummm... well, given the option between drowning and orange sheepskins... I'm all about orange sheep...)