RE: [MedievalSawdust] OT: Need quick drill press recommendations

  • Arthur Slaughter
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6, 2005
      I am very happy with my Delta bench mount drill press, I wouldn't have any
      more Sears tools either, Even the mechanics tools are not up to the old
      standards.
      Finn

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 7, 2005
        Jet. I've liked EVERY Jet tool I've used.
        ( even on a professional level )

        the last few delta products haven been
        less than totally satisfactory.

        Table saw - complete crap

        Bench top Drill press - broken switch
        ( luckily it broke in the on position )

        Spindle sander - hard to find the right sized
        sanding sleeves. ( most retailers that carry the
        sander don't carry the sleeves.... ? )

        most problems are workable, just not much fun.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 7, 2005
          --- Logan <logan@...> wrote:
          > go to home depot and get the ridgid floor model. its powerful, very
          > well built, very reliable, and well worth the money.

          I got it. It was hard to pass up a 15" drill press for $267.

          Ulrich

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Logan
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7, 2005

            you will be pleased im sure.  8)

            www.ebonwoulfe.com

            Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

            > go to home depot and get the ridgid floor model.  its powerful, very
            > well built, very reliable, and well worth the money.

            I got it.  It was hard to pass up a 15" drill press for $267.

            Ulrich

          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
              On this same note, I know that Tractor Supply Company wasn't on his
              list of stores he had access to ...

              However, What are people's experience (if any) with the 'Clarke
              Metalworker' brand of tools that TSC sells? They are amazingly low
              priced for what they are, and seem to be very well made (via an
              inspection I did in store).

              Granted, they only sell metal working tools, but many of those are
              perfectly good woodworking tools as well. Such as their floor Drill
              Press, with built-in laser, work light, and vise. For $175

              Details I got appear to be:
              (16 speed, 12" table, speeds from 260-4220RPM) . Comes fully
              assembled, runs on 115volt AC, and has a milled cast iron table

              http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1012&sonID=593&page=1&productID=9842

              I own an 8" bench grinder I bought from them (same brand) and it has
              served me well.

              Siegfried - Who knows he's going to need a new drill press sooner or
              later. -- Oh, and they have a nice benchtop for only $50
            • Logan
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 9, 2005

                i use a clarke metalworker abrasive chop saw and have no complaints at all.  it is powerful and smooth.  it cuts straight and holds its plumb well (only needs to be adjusted once a year or so if that).  i highly recommend that particular saw.

                regards

                logan

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 9, 2005

                  This fall we’re planning a visit to England .  Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                  YIS Alfric

                • Ralph
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 9, 2005

                    I am also interested in locations of medieval furniture in England .

                    YIS Alfric

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005

                      M’kay.

                      From my last trip Over the Big Water:

                      Don’t waste your time with the British Museum.  TONS of Egyptian stuff, but very little furniture from our period.

                      Spend a day in the Victoria and Albert Museum.  Quite a few items, including the Great Bed of Ware, but not organized for a woodworker’s convenience.

                      I’m heading over next month, and I’m intending to see if these guys will let me molest the stock in their showroom.

                      http://www.huntington-antiques.com/

                      The Tower of London has very good reproductions, and a few very nice 16th Century originals, but not a lot.

                      I am also interested in locations of medieval furniture in England.

                      YIS Alfric

                      This fall we’re planning a visit to England.  Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                      YIS Alfric

                    • Tom Rettie
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005
                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <alfric@c...> wrote:

                        > This fall we're planning a visit to England.
                        > Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                        High on my list are:

                        Weald and Downland Museum (near Chichester)
                        Authentic period structures and lots of reproduction furniture.
                        http://www.wealddown.co.uk/

                        Mary Rose Museum (Portsmouth)
                        Many artifacts from a Tudor warship (incl. the warship).
                        http://www.maryrose.org/

                        The entire city of York, but esp.
                        Barley Hall
                        (authentic/restored structure with reproduction furniture)
                        http://website.lineone.net/~barleyhall/

                        Jorvik and the York Archaological Center
                        http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/trialsplash2.htm

                        Victoria and Albert Museum (London)
                        Lots of furniture and decorative woodwork.
                        http://www.vam.ac.uk/

                        Museum of London (London)
                        Lots of artifacts, some furniture.
                        http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/

                        All of these sites are accessible by Underground or train (W&D
                        Museum also requires a short bus ride).

                        Tom R.
                        (Fin)
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005
                          the Museum of London is nice....

                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129onrr9a/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr

                          oups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1110524263/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
                          > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                          > :HM/A=2593423/rand=451839551>
                          >

                          > _____
                          >
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > Terms of Service
                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        • msgilliandurham
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005
                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                            wrote:

                            > I'm heading over next month, and I'm intending to see if these
                            > guys will let me molest the stock in their showroom.
                            >
                            > http://www.huntington-antiques.com/

                            ooohh, drool.

                            And if they do, you will be bringing back lots of pictures, yes?
                            Pretty please? For A&S, right?

                            Note: to tie this into recent discussions -- this site currently has
                            pictures of

                            A 17th century settle that turns into a table
                            http://www.huntington-antiques.com/settles.htm -- this one is
                            already sold, don't know how long the pix will be up

                            a 15th century "Polychrome" livery cupboard
                            http://www.huntington-antiques.com/17185.htm -- Master William,
                            maybe these folks can tell you *what* it's painted with?

                            and a 17th Century oak cradle
                            http://www.huntington-antiques.com/25014.htm

                            I also notice that there are no *prices* given for any of this
                            stuff :-)

                            Gillian [who misses travel] Durham