RE: [MedievalSawdust] OT: Need quick drill press recommendations

  • Logan
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 6, 2005

      go to home depot and get the ridgid floor model.  its powerful, very well built, very reliable, and well worth the money.

      there is a good write up on it at:

      http://www.asktooltalk.com/home/reviews/stationary/ridgid-drill-press.htm

      one of my squires (sca) is a lawyer for them and speaks very highly of their commitment to quality and the value of their products.  almost half of my tools now are ridgid (porter cable and dewalt make up the other half) and i look forward to future purchases with them.  take full advantage of the battle between lowes and home depot.  go to lowes first and find a floor model that is close, but cheaper, to the ridgid.  ask them for a quote.  take the quote to home depot and go straight to the manager.  they will meet that price and then knock off another 10%.  if they refuse to meet the price since it is a different brand then just demand a 10% discount.  it is standard practice to give it to customers that mention going across the street to lowes to buy something.

      best of luck with whatever you decide.

      regards

      logan

      www.ebonwoulfe.com

      Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 6, 2005
        I am very happy with my Delta bench mount drill press, I wouldn't have any
        more Sears tools either, Even the mechanics tools are not up to the old
        standards.
        Finn

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 7, 2005
          Jet. I've liked EVERY Jet tool I've used.
          ( even on a professional level )

          the last few delta products haven been
          less than totally satisfactory.

          Table saw - complete crap

          Bench top Drill press - broken switch
          ( luckily it broke in the on position )

          Spindle sander - hard to find the right sized
          sanding sleeves. ( most retailers that carry the
          sander don't carry the sleeves.... ? )

          most problems are workable, just not much fun.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7, 2005
            --- Logan <logan@...> wrote:
            > go to home depot and get the ridgid floor model. its powerful, very
            > well built, very reliable, and well worth the money.

            I got it. It was hard to pass up a 15" drill press for $267.

            Ulrich

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Logan
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 7, 2005

              you will be pleased im sure.  8)

              www.ebonwoulfe.com

              Some people are like Slinkies: not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

              > go to home depot and get the ridgid floor model.  its powerful, very
              > well built, very reliable, and well worth the money.

              I got it.  It was hard to pass up a 15" drill press for $267.

              Ulrich

            • Siegfried
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 8, 2005
                On this same note, I know that Tractor Supply Company wasn't on his
                list of stores he had access to ...

                However, What are people's experience (if any) with the 'Clarke
                Metalworker' brand of tools that TSC sells? They are amazingly low
                priced for what they are, and seem to be very well made (via an
                inspection I did in store).

                Granted, they only sell metal working tools, but many of those are
                perfectly good woodworking tools as well. Such as their floor Drill
                Press, with built-in laser, work light, and vise. For $175

                Details I got appear to be:
                (16 speed, 12" table, speeds from 260-4220RPM) . Comes fully
                assembled, runs on 115volt AC, and has a milled cast iron table

                http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1012&sonID=593&page=1&productID=9842

                I own an 8" bench grinder I bought from them (same brand) and it has
                served me well.

                Siegfried - Who knows he's going to need a new drill press sooner or
                later. -- Oh, and they have a nice benchtop for only $50
              • Logan

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 9, 2005

                    This fall we’re planning a visit to England .  Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                    YIS Alfric

                  • Ralph
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 9, 2005

                      I am also interested in locations of medieval furniture in England .

                      YIS Alfric

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005

                        M’kay.

                        From my last trip Over the Big Water:

                        Don’t waste your time with the British Museum.  TONS of Egyptian stuff, but very little furniture from our period.

                        Spend a day in the Victoria and Albert Museum.  Quite a few items, including the Great Bed of Ware, but not organized for a woodworker’s convenience.

                        I’m heading over next month, and I’m intending to see if these guys will let me molest the stock in their showroom.

                        http://www.huntington-antiques.com/

                        The Tower of London has very good reproductions, and a few very nice 16th Century originals, but not a lot.

                        I am also interested in locations of medieval furniture in England.

                        YIS Alfric

                        This fall we’re planning a visit to England.  Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                        YIS Alfric

                      • Tom Rettie
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <alfric@c...> wrote:

                          > This fall we're planning a visit to England.
                          > Are there any must see woodworking sites or attractions?

                          High on my list are:

                          Weald and Downland Museum (near Chichester)
                          Authentic period structures and lots of reproduction furniture.
                          http://www.wealddown.co.uk/

                          Mary Rose Museum (Portsmouth)
                          Many artifacts from a Tudor warship (incl. the warship).
                          http://www.maryrose.org/

                          The entire city of York, but esp.
                          Barley Hall
                          (authentic/restored structure with reproduction furniture)
                          http://website.lineone.net/~barleyhall/

                          Jorvik and the York Archaological Center
                          http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/trialsplash2.htm

                          Victoria and Albert Museum (London)
                          Lots of furniture and decorative woodwork.
                          http://www.vam.ac.uk/

                          Museum of London (London)
                          Lots of artifacts, some furniture.
                          http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/

                          All of these sites are accessible by Underground or train (W&D
                          Museum also requires a short bus ride).

                          Tom R.
                          (Fin)
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005
                            the Museum of London is nice....

                            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129onrr9a/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr

                            oups/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1110524263/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
                            > etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                            > :HM/A=2593423/rand=451839551>
                            >

                            > _____
                            >
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            > Terms of Service
                            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                          • msgilliandurham
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 10, 2005
                              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
                              wrote:

                              > I'm heading over next month, and I'm intending to see if these
                              > guys will let me molest the stock in their showroom.
                              >
                              > http://www.huntington-antiques.com/

                              ooohh, drool.

                              And if they do, you will be bringing back lots of pictures, yes?
                              Pretty please? For A&S, right?

                              Note: to tie this into recent discussions -- this site currently has
                              pictures of

                              A 17th century settle that turns into a table
                              http://www.huntington-antiques.com/settles.htm -- this one is
                              already sold, don't know how long the pix will be up

                              a 15th century "Polychrome" livery cupboard
                              http://www.huntington-antiques.com/17185.htm -- Master William,
                              maybe these folks can tell you *what* it's painted with?

                              and a 17th Century oak cradle
                              http://www.huntington-antiques.com/25014.htm

                              I also notice that there are no *prices* given for any of this
                              stuff :-)

                              Gillian [who misses travel] Durham