Domed chests and Table Settles

  • rivendalehall
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      I was checking out some of my routine places to look for interesting
      things and ran across the following:

      http://www.huntington-antiques.com/25102.htm

      This is a 'Gothic' domed coffer chest. What's very much of interest
      is their statement:

      Historical Note: There are several extant examples of Renaissance
      decorated coffers with domed tops, but this is the only Gothic one
      we have ever seen and we cannot find an illustration or Museum that
      has one!

      Under their listings of "Settles, Benches and Stools" there's also
      a 17th c. Oak Table Settle... The famous table that turns into a
      bench that we were all talking about some time back... So far
      that's the earliest example I've seen.