If anyone cares re monographs WAS Re: Digest Number 682

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
      wrote:
      > Librarians also call "books" "monographs."
      >
      > Master Will

      Well, unless the book is in a set published over time, in which case
      we may call them "serials."
      <g, d, and r>

      Technically, a monograph is something that comes out once and that's
      it -- its format could be a pamphlet, IIRC, as well as a book. (Very
      techincally, I suppose a film could be a monograph, until its
      producers commit sequalism on it <g>) "Monograph" refers to the
      frequency of the object's production, "book" to its format.

      In practice, the distinction between monograph and serial has as
      much or more to do with how the material is purchased than how it's
      published.

      For example, some scholarly or research periodicals are published in
      book format, but over a space of time -- "Occasional Papers of the
      Turnip Twaddlers Society of Little Wingham". If your library makes a
      committment to purchase the entire set as a "standing order" (sort
      of an open-ended subscription) and you catalog it as a set
      ("Occasional Papers of the Turnip Twaddlers Society of Little
      Wingham" with Vol. 1, 2005; Vol. 2, 2006" etc.) it's a serial. If
      you only purchase some of the volumes (the ones in which your
      faculty have essays, for example) and you catalog each one
      separately ("16th century Turnip Twaddlers of Schleswig and
      Holstein: Occasional Papers of the Turnip Twaddlers Society of
      Little Wingham") then the volumes your library owns are said to be
      *treated* as monographs, even though they are published as a series.

      Which is probably more than anyone here really wanted to know about
      the topic :-) We now return you to your regularly scheduled mundane
      nit-picking.

      Gillian Durham