Re: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 682

  • Helen Schultz
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
      MSS is a sort of abbreviation for "Medieval Manuscript."

      Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
      Middle Kingdom

      The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

      Pardon my ignorance, but what !@#$ does 'MSS' mean. I see it a lot it
      various references and it often confuses the %^&& out of me.

      William Castille

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
        It's librarian-speak for "manuscript." I think that it refers to the
        actual, original copy of a historic document, but it may also refer to
        facsimiles. Librarians also call "books" "monographs."

        Master Will
        http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

        > in MSS. Check out "Master Builders of the Middle Ages" or

        Pardon my ignorance, but what !@#$ does 'MSS' mean. I see it a lot it
        various references and it often confuses the %^&& out of me.

        William Castille

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
          wrote:
          > Librarians also call "books" "monographs."
          >
          > Master Will

          Well, unless the book is in a set published over time, in which case
          we may call them "serials."
          <g, d, and r>

          Technically, a monograph is something that comes out once and that's
          it -- its format could be a pamphlet, IIRC, as well as a book. (Very
          techincally, I suppose a film could be a monograph, until its
          producers commit sequalism on it <g>) "Monograph" refers to the
          frequency of the object's production, "book" to its format.

          In practice, the distinction between monograph and serial has as
          much or more to do with how the material is purchased than how it's
          published.

          For example, some scholarly or research periodicals are published in
          book format, but over a space of time -- "Occasional Papers of the
          Turnip Twaddlers Society of Little Wingham". If your library makes a
          committment to purchase the entire set as a "standing order" (sort
          of an open-ended subscription) and you catalog it as a set
          ("Occasional Papers of the Turnip Twaddlers Society of Little
          Wingham" with Vol. 1, 2005; Vol. 2, 2006" etc.) it's a serial. If
          you only purchase some of the volumes (the ones in which your
          faculty have essays, for example) and you catalog each one
          separately ("16th century Turnip Twaddlers of Schleswig and
          Holstein: Occasional Papers of the Turnip Twaddlers Society of
          Little Wingham") then the volumes your library owns are said to be
          *treated* as monographs, even though they are published as a series.

          Which is probably more than anyone here really wanted to know about
          the topic :-) We now return you to your regularly scheduled mundane
          nit-picking.

          Gillian Durham