RE: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 682

  • Kim & Steve Maynard
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005

      Pardon my ignorance, but what !@#$ does 'MSS' mean. I see it a lot it
      various references and it often confuses the %^&& out of me.

      William Castille
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
        Pardon my ignorance, but what !@#$ does 'MSS' mean. I see it a lot it
        various references and it often confuses the %^&& out of me.

        ManuScriptS.

        Colin

      • Helen Schultz
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
          MSS is a sort of abbreviation for "Medieval Manuscript."

          Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
          Middle Kingdom

          The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
            It's librarian-speak for "manuscript." I think that it refers to the
            actual, original copy of a historic document, but it may also refer to
            facsimiles. Librarians also call "books" "monographs."

            Master Will
            http://tech.cls.utk.edu/wood

            > in MSS. Check out "Master Builders of the Middle Ages" or

            Pardon my ignorance, but what !@#$ does 'MSS' mean. I see it a lot it
            various references and it often confuses the %^&& out of me.

            William Castille

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • msgilliandurham
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@p...>
              wrote:
              > Librarians also call "books" "monographs."
              >
              > Master Will

              Well, unless the book is in a set published over time, in which case
              we may call them "serials."
              <g, d, and r>

              Technically, a monograph is something that comes out once and that's
              it -- its format could be a pamphlet, IIRC, as well as a book. (Very
              techincally, I suppose a film could be a monograph, until its
              producers commit sequalism on it <g>) "Monograph" refers to the
              frequency of the object's production, "book" to its format.

              In practice, the distinction between monograph and serial has as
              much or more to do with how the material is purchased than how it's
              published.

              For example, some scholarly or research periodicals are published in
              book format, but over a space of time -- "Occasional Papers of the
              Turnip Twaddlers Society of Little Wingham". If your library makes a
              committment to purchase the entire set as a "standing order" (sort
              of an open-ended subscription) and you catalog it as a set
              ("Occasional Papers of the Turnip Twaddlers Society of Little
              Wingham" with Vol. 1, 2005; Vol. 2, 2006" etc.) it's a serial. If
              you only purchase some of the volumes (the ones in which your
              faculty have essays, for example) and you catalog each one
              separately ("16th century Turnip Twaddlers of Schleswig and
              Holstein: Occasional Papers of the Turnip Twaddlers Society of
              Little Wingham") then the volumes your library owns are said to be
              *treated* as monographs, even though they are published as a series.

              Which is probably more than anyone here really wanted to know about
              the topic :-) We now return you to your regularly scheduled mundane
              nit-picking.

              Gillian Durham