14th-15th c. twist drill

  • rivendalehall
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24 4:37 PM
      Ya' know, all this talk about drill bits got me to thinking... which
      is something I don't do lightly 'cause it hurts... BUT... I
      suddenly realized I HAD a medieval drill bit laying around
      downstairs.

      If you go to the photos section, Chas. stuff... you'll find a
      picture of it with some details of the working part. I bought it
      from Talbot's Fine Accessories one year at Pennsic.

      The drill would have had a 'T' handle... and the drill end is SO
      nicely formed I'm almost bettin' the smith had a pre-formed piece he
      hammered on down on it with to form the shape...

      Anyway... taper point... self guiding even sides... (its 5/8" or 17
      cm. bore... close examination shows its ALMOST a transition piece
      between the modern twist drill and a spoon bit... with two cutting
      edges and a point... but an almost spoon bit side and cutting
      action... tres' cool...

      ... a little more of a point on it and I'd bet it would cut end
      grain beautifully...

      Oh... if I remember correctly most of the gimlets are somewhat
      similarly shaped... just generally not as large... and I bet them
      spiffly little gimlet fellers' would make a heck of a quick pilot
      hole...