RE: Recommended Source for Animal Hide Glue & Biscuit Joins

  • John LaTorre
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2005
      Apollonia wrote:

      > Do any of you regularly use animal hide glue?
      >
      > If so, do any of you have recommendations on which brand or where to
      > buy it from?

      Stewart-Macdonald, the luthier's supply house, has it:

      http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Wood_glue/Behlen_Ground_Hide_Gl
      ue.html

      and probably other places, as well. Both Titebond and Franklin also have
      what they call "liquid hide glue" but my luthier contacts insist that it's
      not the same stuff ... different drying properties (doesn't dry as hard, and
      creeps under pressure).

      But maybe for your application, these aren't real drawbacks. The advantages
      of the traditional mix-it-yourself hide glue, according to luthiers, are
      threefold:

      1. Dries very hard, therefore does not damp or impede vibrations
      2. Is very stable ... parts don't "creep" or shift under vibration or
      internal stresses
      3. Can easily by softened by application of heat, making it possible to
      dismantle instruments for repair.

      I can't see that any of these are assets when you're making a shield. In
      fact, they'd be drawbacks, since the failure mode of the joint would be to
      break if stressed, rather than distort. Also, shields are known to be kept
      in car trunks where they can get hot enough for the glue to soften (Which is
      why you never leave musical instruments in a trunk).

      But if your shield is never meant to be functional ...

      Baron Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)