more turning: personal accomplishment

  • maeryk
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2005
      So.. never having taken a class or even watched anyone turn.. my biggest
      fear was the Skew. (cause, ya know.. that’s the first tool you pick up, and
      the first tool you shoot across the room with a spectacular catch.)

      So..after devouring Raffan's books, and Underhill's advice, I bought an oval
      skew.. a BIG one.. 1.75 inch width.. and tonight I turned a pen with it.
      Start to finish.. in padauk. Roughing, beads, a slight cove, everything.

      No catches.. no tearout, a minimum of sanding.

      After over a year of being TERRIFIED of the darn thing, I'm learning its
      quite the handy tool.. but a light touch is definitely the order of the day.

      Just thought I'd share my "breakthrough".

      Maeryk