Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: hinges

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 12 3:19 PM
      lee valley has hand forged hinges
      I haven't used them ( the other project
      was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
      a budget...

      got pic's of what you are planning?

      Conal

      --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
      > Conal,
      >
      > Hello, and may I inquire about what sort of hinges
      > you received? A
      > good source of period looking and maybe even
      > primitive looking hinges
      > would be very nice.
      >
      > -Charlie
      >

      > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
      > <baronconal@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Yea, I got them and couple of catalogs that
      > > the locals have threatened to steal.
      > >
      > > Thanks for the tip!
      > >
      > > For those that don't know what we are
      > > talking about, check out....
      > >
      > > www.leevalley.com
      > >

      > > Conal
      > >
      > > --- Dan Baker <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
      > > > And very well done from the pictures I have
      > seen.
      > > >
      > > > Greetings Conal my friend!
      > > >
      > > > Did you get those hinges?

      > > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
      > email!
      > > http://mail.yahoo.com/

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • vinlandar
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 13 10:34 AM
        Hi, Conal,

        yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from whence I will be
        drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a simple chest to
        keep some of my stuff in.

        stool:
        http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

        Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit, and make mine
        about half as long as this one.
        http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

        I have done a little working with wood before, but I am not an
        experienced woodworker.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 13 2:04 PM
          If you are gonna go as far as
          doing a reproduction ....
          ( you are in the SCA, right? )
          ... find a blacksmith and get the
          hinges custom made. He/She might
          help you make them, or just want a
          little help with some grunt work in
          trade.

          Where are you?

          Conal

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 13 2:06 PM
            they are not Viking...

            but check out...

            http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html

            Conal
            --- vinlandar <vinlandar@...> wrote:
            > Hi, Conal,
            >
            > yep, here are two links to a site by Mr. Wyeley from
            > whence I will be
            > drawing my plans for a couple of Viking stools and a
            > simple chest to
            > keep some of my stuff in.
            >
            > stool:

            http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

            > Chest: (I think I will change the dimentions a bit,
            > and make mine
            > about half as long as this one.

            http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

            > I have done a little working with wood before, but I
            > am not an
            > experienced woodworker.
            >
            > -Charlie
            >

            > --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart
            > <baronconal@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > lee valley has hand forged hinges
            > > I haven't used them ( the other project
            > > was a tourney prize and I had a bit of
            > > a budget...
            > >
            > > got pic's of what you are planning?
            > >
            > > Conal

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 13 5:17 PM
              Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's items. I
              even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his items.

              HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor Christienson, the
              curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities of viking
              artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the items are
              period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking Captain
              Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.

              --
              YIS,

              Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
              Privateer to the Midrealm

              Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
              ...Take time to dance in the rain...

            • vinlandar
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 13 6:02 PM
                Thanks, Captain,

                I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                the maker or the buyer.

                Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.

                Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.

                If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.

                -Charlie

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 14 2:54 AM
                  An excellent book indeed. And I am considering making that chest myself.
                  If you research the Gokstad and Oseberg burial ships, you will find that
                  they carry beds that did vary to individual needs. Making that stretch for
                  other items seems reasonable.

                  >Thanks, Captain,
                  >
                  >I have the book, 'The Mastermyr Find" - a Viking age tool chest by
                  >Arwidsson and Berg, and it gives very extensive detail. I am going
                  >to go with the construction technique, and change the measurements a
                  >little to accomodate a alightly different purpose. My theory behind
                  >the dimension adjustment is that construction techniques would be
                  >passed on and would probably be found in more than one piece, but
                  >there was no Wallmart in Gotland where a Viking with a need for a
                  >toolchest could go and find racks and rows of identical pieces. they
                  >would have been made, using common techniques, to suit the purpose of
                  >the maker or the buyer.
                  >
                  >Beyond the photo in Wyeley's site, I have not found documentation of
                  >that stool from Lund, but I imagine I will as I keep on looking. In
                  >the meantime, the Wallmart theory I again apply, and expect that
                  >stools would be similar, but probably not identical en masse.
                  >
                  >Conal, I am not in the SCA, but this spring I had the priveledge of
                  >meeting the great blacksmith from Wharram Forge up in Canada who
                  >works with the Canadian Parks Ministry in making replicas for the
                  >L'ans au Meadows (sp?) historical site. He has a pretty nice tool
                  >chest, and I may contact him and ask him what he is doing for hinges.
                  >
                  >If I get any decent results, I will photo them if you like, and share.
                  >
                  >-Charlie
                  >

                  >--- In medievalsawdust@y..., "Dan Baker" <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
                  > > Interestingly, I can not find any documentation for Mr Wyeley's
                  >items. I
                  > > even researced his references and they mentions nothing of his
                  >items.
                  > >
                  > > HOWEVER, that said, I have been in touch with Proffesor
                  >Christienson, the
                  > > curator of the oslo museum, and one of the best current athorities
                  >of viking
                  > > artifacts. He reccomends Mr Wyeley's site highly, and believe the
                  >items are
                  > > period. (pardon the typing, I had a bad day and I am drinking
                  >Captain
                  > > Morgan and a tiny amount of Coke.
                  > >

                  > > >they are not Viking...
                  > > >
                  > > > but check out...
                  > > >
                  > > >http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/oakley.html
                  > > >
                  > > > Conal

                  > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikstool.html

                  > > >http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/Viking/vikchest.html

                  > > >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
                  > > >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                  > >

                  > > --
                  > > YIS,
                  > >
                  > > Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                  > > Privateer to the Midrealm
                  > >
                  > > Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                  > > ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                  YIS,

                  Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                  Privateer to the Midrealm

                  Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                  ...Take time to dance in the rain...

                • Scott Lane
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 16 2:13 PM
                    >If you are gonna go as far as
                    >doing a reproduction ....
                    > ( you are in the SCA, right? )
                    >... find a blacksmith and get the
                    >hinges custom made. He/She might
                    >help you make them, or just want a
                    >little help with some grunt work in
                    >trade.
                    >Where are you?

                    I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local people
                    :) Let me know what kind you need?

                    Aodhfin
                  • vinlandar
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 16 4:47 PM
                      --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:
                      > > I have been requested to do some hinges for a few local
                      people
                      > :) Let me know what kind you need?
                      >
                      > Aodhfin

                      Ahodfin,

                      Thanks, that is a generous offer. I have contacted a blacksmith in
                      the SCA who has done some nice forged cooking forks for me before,
                      and he is researching the chest and possible hinges.

                      -Charlie
                    • Helen Schultz
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 11, 2009
                        These aren't small box hinges, but since we were on the subject, I thought I'd share...

                        ~~ Katarina Helene

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 11, 2009

                          Here’s a good resource for generic “old” hinges.  They are mass-produced out of mild steel for the most part.  They are not authentic in many ways, but they pass the Conan Test  (10 foot rule) and are excellent for “utility camp boxes.”  Their best feature is that they are cheap, at between $7.00 (US) to $24 (US) a pair.   You will want to look at the categories labeled “Antique Steel Hinges,” “Hand Forged Hinges,” “Equal Strap Hinges,” “Unequal Strap Hinges,” “Small Equal Decorative Hinges” and “Folding Leaf Hinges.”  Many of them are similar in general appearance to the examples in Chinnery and at the Cloisters in NYC.

                          http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=41262&cat=3,41241

                          Will