Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Off Topic Wince

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 22, 2005
      Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in England, by Philip Mainwaring Johnston, F.R.I.B.A.
      No ISBN.  Reprint of an article from Archaeological Journal, v. 64, no. 4, 1907.
      Available from Caber Press, 7459 N. Fenwick, Portland OR 97217.
      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm
      Master Magnus got Jack to reprint this, and it is the best $12.95 (plus shipping) you will ever spend.

      Mobel Europas 1, Romanik-Gotik.  Franz Windisch-Graetz.
      ISBN 3-7814-0212-6
      Doesn't seem to be available right now, used or new... glad I got a copy when I found it!
      You are probably not too far away from a good university library, that could get this via ILL.
      For that matter, there are probably members of this List within a few hours drive that might let you look at it.

      It's hard to do research, of any kind, without resources.

      At 07:31 PM 2/22/2005 +0000, you wrote:
      And what's the ISDN number on those?  They cost about $20 right?

      Not to be snarky, but that is part of my time machine... just getting access to those books without starving or living in a real library.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      there are hundreds of pieces of furniture from that time period.
      P.M. Johnston's little book lists over a hundred chests, for 12th - 13th c.
      England alone.   Windish-Graetz has examples of all kinds of furniture from
      Romanesque and Early Gothic eras.