Re: Big announcement!

  • Kathleen Sanderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2005
      This is the best way to teach children how to properly use any tool,
      including guns (out of period, I know!). My brothers and I 'helped'
      our father build our new house when we were all under nine years
      old -- he gave us hammers and nails, and we nailed the edges of the
      plywood subfloor. He may have had to go back and fix some of our
      work, but that was before Chinese nails, and I don't remember too
      many of them bending. He also started teaching us to shoot when I
      was about six. In spite of my two brothers being a handful (an
      understatement!), none of us ever even considered using a gun
      inappropriately, because we'd been taught how to use them correctly.

      My daughters learned to cook at a very young age, and when they were
      about ten, we stopped buying toys for them, and started buying 'hope
      chest' stuff, mostly kitchen gear. By the time they left home, they
      had enough stuff to set up housekeeping. And they really liked
      getting 'grown-up' stuff!

      Beornwyn/Kathleen

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Susy-Earthlink"
      <pagansoccermom@e...> wrote:
      > A door with a lock is often not a barrier to children. Remember,
      they don't have the preconceived notions we have as to how things
      work! Teach them young how to use and respect tools, then you won't
      have to worry so much. My children all received tools for birthday
      gifts from the time they showed interest; 2 or so... Get them tools
      that are appropriate, and show them how to use them.

      > One of my kids' favorite activities on their own time is to get
      their hammers and saws and a handful of nails and pound them into
      their collection of wood scraps. They also enjoy drilling lots of
      holes with their braces. They're now 10, 8, and 7 and help with
      lots of projects using the power drill, and sometimes the chop saw.
      Their collection of inventions out of wood scraps including
      ballistae and catapults is amazing. Their brains just keep whirring
      away.

      > I found out quickly that plastic toy tools don't last long. I
      started getting them tack hammers and other real tools of a smaller
      nature that would fit their hands. They also learn quickly that a
      whack with a real hammer hurts, but it's not so bad as a full size
      one. When they were toddlers we built them their own work bench and
      included a real peg board so they would learn to put away their
      tools. Most importantly, on the underside we installed pipes with
      lots of knobs, valves and fittings for them to "work on". It was
      the best toy they ever had! and a big hit with kids of all ages who
      came to our house!

      > My son, he's the 10 year old, just received his first set of
      chisels and wood carving tools for yule, he's had a pocket knife and
      enjoyed whiddling for a few years now. He's very excited, but the
      first thing he did was find an appropriate container for their safe
      storage and find out how to use them safely. I never worry they're
      gonna get into tools that they can't handle now. They have learned
      to respect them, and how to care for them. And we never hide an
      injury caused by one. In fact, they're usually the ones to bandage
      us up! That never hurts to add a measure of healthy respect for
      tools!

      > Peace Blessings and Much Luck with the little ones!!!
      > Susy

      of Service.